should I go sr2 for quad fire...?

seaneboy

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, so I'm wondering if I should do a bit of an upgrade, or perhaps a reconfiguration.

I'm running:
RIVBE
16gb Dom gt
Quad fire 290x
1600w cooler master (plan to replace/upgrade)

Not sure if anything else matters.. But the whole rig is underwater, so I do have to consider blocks for the potentially new CPUs...

I'm a bf4 player, and running tri-qnix.

Is it worth my going for an sr-2 board, and dual CPUs? I just saw some interesting deals, and could probably make the jump for something like $600-800 out of pocket, including sale of the chip, board, maybe even psu... Ok, so maybe I have to make that number closer to $1200, but anyway.. I'd imagine the performance gained is worth it due to the fact I'm sitting on quad fire.. Might as well use it as best I can right?! Any suggestions? I'm even open to selling gpus, whatever... I just want to kind of make best usage. Thanks.

Sounds like it is a good idea if it's just something you want to do for fun - to tweak/test/build something/etc. - but I do not think you are going to gain much from Battlefield 4 by having 12+ cores. At least not as much to justify the cost.

I know all about "chasing the dragon" so to speak with the Battlefield series - so I wholeheartedly support your plan. I'm just not thinking you are going to see huge benefits.

Sounds like it is a good idea if it's just something you want to do for fun - to tweak/test/build something/etc. - but I do not think you are going to gain much from Battlefield 4 by having 12+ cores. At least not as much to justify the cost.

I know all about "chasing the dragon" so to speak with the Battlefield series - so I wholeheartedly support your plan. I'm just not thinking you are going to see huge benefits.

LOL @ 'chasing the dragon', what an amazing way of putting it... Yes, I certainly am on a bit of that kick. However, isn't my current rig bottlenecking significantly? Also, aren't I going to see some decent gains when I'm playing 4k? I would think so..? Frame rates?

You will see no gain in FPS really by switching to dual older CPU.. you have no bottlenecking there, people can think that a 3930K due to being PCI-E 2.0 can bottleneck a quad fire or quad SLI but most of those tend to forget that the PCI-E Controller in sandy bridge-E can do 8 gigatransfers per second rate, so it meet PCI-E 3.0 specification requirement but it wasn't officially certified. so moving to a older platform you will be moving to older and slower chips, but also running at slower PCI-E speeds.. battlefield 4 love cores but also love single thread speed.. and i guess your 3930K is highly OC'd so you will be run out of GPU power before reach the CPU bottlenecking line, you want to upgrade? sell your setup and upgrade to haswell-E and you will have way better gaming performance than running dual older chips (possibly 2x Xeons X56x0? ) but if you are at or above 4.7ghz with that 3930K you have no need to upgrade.

You will see no gain in FPS really by switching to dual older CPU.. you have no bottlenecking there, people can think that a 3930K due to being PCI-E 2.0 can bottleneck a quad fire or quad SLI but most of those tend to forget that the PCI-E Controller in sandy bridge-E can do 8 gigatransfers per second rate, so it meet PCI-E 3.0 specification requirement but it wasn't officially certified. so moving to a older platform you will be moving to older and slower chips, but also running at slower PCI-E speeds.. battlefield 4 love cores but also love single thread speed.. and i guess your 3930K is highly OC'd so you will be run out of GPU power before reach the CPU bottlenecking line, you want to upgrade? sell your setup and upgrade to haswell-E and you will have way better gaming performance than running dual older chips (possibly 2x Xeons X56x0? ) but if you are at or above 4.7ghz with that 3930K you have no need to upgrade.

Thank you SOO MUCH for laying it out like that.. That is exactly what I was having trouble trying to wrap my head around... whether or not I was indeed limiting the gpus... Perhaps I'll toy with the idea of has-e and see what kind of gains I would get per dollar.

For gaming, you would undoubtedly be better off going with an 8-core 5960x instead of those older 6-cores. The amount of games that benefit from enhanced IPC is way higher than the amount that benefit from just more cores.

Well put.

RE: 8-core 5960X - that is probably a better route versus the SR2 which is a very "one off" setup. But yeah, I say stick with that 3930K. Later BIOS updates for most boards introduce PCI-E 3.0 on X79, anyway ("unofficially").

RE: "chase the dragon" - did it with BF3 - ran 4-way 680s...did it with BF4 - ran 3-way TITANs...now I'm settled on 980 SLI with a 144hz G-SYNC monitor. Bliss. :)

Well put.

RE: 8-core 5960X - that is probably a better route versus the SR2 which is a very "one off" setup. But yeah, I say stick with that 3930K. Later BIOS updates for most boards introduce PCI-E 3.0 on X79, anyway ("unofficially").

RE: "chase the dragon" - did it with BF3 - ran 4-way 680s...did it with BF4 - ran 3-way TITANs...now I'm settled on 980 SLI with a 144hz G-SYNC monitor. Bliss. :)

Man, wish I could give daps on the forum..lol. Didn't know about the 3.0 update either... or maybe I did and forgot. Meanwhile, I just looked up and my CPU is still selling for $400 on ebay.. I swear I bought it for like $300 a year ago...? And, it's supposedly a high binned chip, too. I wonder if it would be worth me dropping my 290x configuration, and going for a dual setup on a newer set of cards..?

I wonder if it would be worth me dropping my 290x configuration, and going for a dual setup on a newer set of cards..?

That would be the better choice, as the scaling above 2 cards its pretty low but wait until the next gen of AMD cards before do it, as in that kind of triple 2560x1440 the 290X its still a equal or better performer than the newer GTX 980. I would just wait until new cards arrive and ditch for dual GPU solution.

Back