Should I go dedicated ?

Metraon

Limp Gawd
I have my personnal domain with 1&1 on a shared webhosting and I run a few scripts in php for invoicing, tickets, project management and my resume. 5$ a month

I aslo have a winhost account for a ASP.NET application that needed full trust. 8$ a month.

I am lauching 2 more websites : 1 wordpress blog with woocommerce for a client wich they are paying 7$ a month on shared webhosting but they prefer that I pay the hosting and bill them eventually. The other website is a personnal project I plan to run a VPS (lowendbox.oom) with 7$ a month budget.

But I realised OVH offer dedicated boxes for 29$ a month so its near from what I am paying.

PE 1
Intel i3 2 cores / 4 thread 3.4 GHz
8 GB RAM
2TB SATA2 HDD
5TB Bandwith

My question is should I buy this instead and virtualise/consolidate on this box instead ? I imagine I would gain in performance and managability but Its like putting all my eggs in one basket (LOL) ?

Is vmWare is the way to go on this because of the ASP.NET aspect ?

I don't really have a solid opinion on what you should do. But I have that exact box, and it works quite well.

I'd be willing to bet that the $29 does NOT include any sort of backup, so you'd need to account for that as well.

Yeah !

The 39$ box have a 100GB backup plan included but the software raid is killing me and I can't use vmWare with that plan.

Looks to me like you can use ESXI with the KS1. I know I can for fact on the PE1.

I didn't clearly see you were trying to use software raid with ESXi. So it looks like you can't I suppose. I don't have raid in my server, just a single hard drive.

Looks like you can use XEN or Hyper-V.

Do I have the option not to use the software raid ? If I dont have to use it, I would be more than happy. I just thought that I dont have the choice for the KS series...

Doesn't look like it. Xen is pretty good though, I've not used Hyper-V but people seem to like it.

Maybe you could also consider holding out a week or two and maybe the PE1 will be back in stock.

Back