• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should I go 21" or 24" widescreen?

heatlesssun

Extremely [H]
Joined
Nov 5, 2005
Messages
44,154
So I've got my new rig, and well, I guess its time for a new monitor as well.

I use this system for work (business software development), gaming, and TV and DVD viewing, as its a Windows Media Center.

So 24" would be great for everything, but I worry about gaming. Even the dual GTX 512 can't drive my favorite games right now (F.E.A.R. adnd CoD2) at 1920x1200 at acceptable frame rates, at least to me. So I'd probaly want to run some stuff at 1600x900 or 1600x1200.

Any Dell 2405FPW owners/users want to comment on gaming at non-native resolutions and what features and options are available for scaling?

Thanks for your input.

Merry Christmas!

_____________________________________________________________
Windows Media Center 2005
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe Motherbaord
Athlon 64 X2 4800+
2GB Corsair 3500LL Pro Memmory
2x BFG 7800 GTX 512 OC in SLI
3x Maxtor DiamondMax10 300GB HDD in RAID-0
1x hp dvd740 DVD Writer optical drive | 1x Mitsumi FA404M 7-in-1 USB 2.0 card reader and floppy drive
Antec P180 case
Enermax EG851AX-VH 660W Power Supply
Samsung SyncMaster 213T 21" 1600x1200 LCD Monitor
 
first off if you can aford it go 24", second if your dual 7800 gtx 512 cant run at top res at acceptable frame rates then there is something wrong with your setup. I run 1680x1050 on my 2405 with a geforce 4 playing CSS and I do pretty damn good. Now I know its a shitty card and its just CSS but its more then playable. You sound like you need some major tweaking.
 
I think my system is running up to snuff. I've not done extensive benching, but ran through most of the Sandra Lite benches and all the numbers are in line with my specs. F.E.A.R.'s in game performance tester reports an average of 60+ FPS @ 1600x1200 at maximum detail. I'm scoring 13100+ in 3dMark2005, and everything else seems to be running well.

But reviews I've seen around seem to indicate that F.E.A.R. and CoD2 kinda max out @ 1600x1200 at maximum detail. Beyond that, no current solution seems to run that well.

You say you're running CSS @1680x1050, but itsn't the 2405 native resolution 1920x1200? Does CSS look good, even at non-native resolution.

Thanks!
 
I run CSS in window mode, I do that so I can still see my trading charts. Im on low for everything but again Im on a geforce 4 and graphics are not the most important to me but I still have fun playing.
 
I have a 2405fpw. It really depends how you are gaming. If you are gaming solo play or non-competitive online then 2405fpw is good for you. If you are doing competitive or lan gaming FPS then it isnt. Its just that simple.
 
did you just say your 512 GTX's in SLi can't run COD2 at max? I have a single 6800GS and I have everything set on max including aliasing @ 1280x1024. Sorry if I misunderstood.
 
XxDaRkReAp3rxXdOtCoM said:
did you just say your 512 GTX's in SLi can't run COD2 at max? I have a single 6800GS and I have everything set on max including aliasing @ 1280x1024. Sorry if I misunderstood.


At the NATIVE res of a 24" display, yes, SLI GTX's will get owned by COD2 at max settings.....
 
Chewbacca said:
I have a 2405fpw. It really depends how you are gaming. If you are gaming solo play or non-competitive online then 2405fpw is good for you. If you are doing competitive or lan gaming FPS then it isnt. Its just that simple.

So do you play any games at non-native resolutions on that 2405? How does 1600x900 look for instance.

Merry Christmas!

_____________________________________________________________
Windows Media Center 2005
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe Motherbaord
Athlon 64 X2 4800+
2GB Corsair 3500LL Pro Memmory
2x BFG 7800 GTX 512 OC in SLI
3x Maxtor DiamondMax10 300GB HDD in RAID-0
2x hp dvd740 DVD Writer optical drive | 1x Mitsumi FA404M 7-in-1 USB 2.0 card reader and floppy drive
Antec P180 case
Enermax EG851AX-VH 660W Power Supply
Samsung SyncMaster 213T 21" 1600x1200 LCD Monitor
 
ar2005 said:
i like 1600x1200. widescreens lcds are short imo. :)


Not if you have a 21" or 24" widescreen.....same height as a 21" CRT. I like 1680x1050 :p
 
This is another feature I love...side by side pages.....

wide.jpg
 
TheRapture said:
This is another feature I love...side by side pages.....]

Could you please explain this. How is this achieved. Some type if utility software? Or are you just using Windows tiling?
 
heatlesssun said:
Could you please explain this. How is this achieved. Some type if utility software? Or are you just using Windows tiling?


It's my 21" widescreen LCD.....two pages side by side.....it's a screenshot of the display...
 
Another option would be 2 21 inch lcds. Depending on what type of sale you can catch for the 24 inch they would be about the same or a little more. That way you can have a game running full screen on one and have what ever elce on the second. Besides it gives you more room to work with on the screen. If not then I would say go for the 24.
 
TheRapture said:
At the NATIVE res of a 24" display, yes, SLI GTX's will get owned by COD2 at max settings.....

No they wont....I can run COD2 @ 1920x1200 on my 24" sony ws CRT with a 7800GT 460/1200 and it doesnt run super smooth, but its definitely playable. 2x AA. I'm sure dual GTX's would run it just fine....
 
wow that is one great screenshot, for the first time i got the notion of how it is really to have a 24".
 
swatbat said:
Another option would be 2 21 inch lcds. Depending on what type of sale you can catch for the 24 inch they would be about the same or a little more. That way you can have a game running full screen on one and have what ever elce on the second. Besides it gives you more room to work with on the screen. If not then I would say go for the 24.

You know, this migh be the ticket. I want to be able to game, but I think that for now anything for gaming over 1600x1200 or 1680x1050 is probably not really all that, maybe I'm wrong.

But I want the large display for working, which unfortunately I have to do to be able to buy this stuff!

Merry Christmas!

_____________________________________________________________
Windows Media Center 2005
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe Motherbaord
Athlon 64 X2 4800+
2GB Corsair 3500LL Pro Memmory
2x BFG 7800 GTX 512 OC in SLI
3x Maxtor DiamondMax10 300GB HDD in RAID-0
2x hp dvd740 DVD Writer optical drive | 1x Mitsumi FA404M 7-in-1 USB 2.0 card reader and floppy drive
Antec P180 case
Enermax EG851AX-VH 660W Power Supply
Samsung SyncMaster 213T 21" 1600x1200 LCD Monitor
 
I have a 2405fpw, and I run all my games at 1920x1200. Most games will have a "fix", where you can modify the display settings, even though it doesn't have the option.

Check out the widescreengamingforums here
 
What kind of games to you play?

I just don't think F.E.A.R. or CoD2 will be able to play well at 1920x1200 at maximum detail @ 4aa/16af. Of course, notching down the AA might be ok at that resolution.

I'm starting to think I might go the dual 21" widescreen route.
 
Back
Top