• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should I Get the 2405FPW?

Cadaver

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 21, 2004
Messages
176
I am in the market for a new display. My old 21" CRT is on the way out (poor brightness, humming noise, an occasional "sparking" image), and I'm thinking of going for an LCD.

However, I have a dilemma. I could go for a good quality 19", such as the Viewsonic VP191b, or a Dell 2405FPW (which has a 25% discount here in Australia at the moment). I only have a 6600GT, so I couldn't run a Dell at the native res in games. I would probably go for 1280x800.

Would it be better to get a 19", or spend the extra on the Dell and run games at non-native resolutions?
 
if you dont plan on upgrading the vid card anytime soon you should probably go for the 19"
 
It depends.................. Are you going to say man I wish I had the larger lcd in 6 months? It is a major purchase you do not want to regret later. Both monitors would be good choices though.

BTW my 2405 ships on the 30th.
 
You'll want a card that can handle the native 1900x1200 res ...you could always run it lower but it wont look that great and motion blur is even worse when running out of the native resolution.
 
I would probably opt for more real estate honestly. If you can get a 2405fpw, then you can probably afford to upgrade your video card (maybe not immediately).

Do you spend 100% of your time on the computer just gaming? Honestly I find the real estate much more useful for productivity.
 
Just because you may not be able to benefit from playing games at the native res you can do so many other non-rendering things at 1920x1200.

From surfing the web, watching music vids, DVDs. Some day you'll get a better system but without a doubt don't sell yourself short on all the other aspects of computer use.

This is a no-brainer, get the 24." I had a 23" Apple Cinema 2.5 years ago, the best out there was a 9700 Pro, I had my fun with games at 1280x760, it's not really "that bad" by any means but man, with all that room to work with, I couldn't believe I used to only have a 17"
 
Goddamn it. Now I'm even less sure.

I don't spend 100% of my time on gaming. I spend a lot of time on watching movies and reading the net. However, it would have to suit for gaming. I'm a big fan of BF2 at the moment.

I'm kinda divided. I can afford the 24", but I don't think i could afford to keep buying the high end cards to drive it all the time at native res.
 
I play games but mostly Grand Prix Legends. I can run it at the native resolution even with my Nvidia 5900. Of course cant you scale games down to a lower resolution and use less of the sceen. Could that be done at 19" and the resolution of around 1280x1025
 
Scaling could be an option, but then I've read in other posts about problems with lag (and of course the quality reduction).

If Dell owners believed they were not real issues, it wouldn't be a problem for me.
 
Back
Top