• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

should i get brand name ram?

UnfaTeFuL

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 23, 2002
Messages
460
Right now I have generic PC2100 2x 256 ram. My computer's been crashing alot lately, ie. BSOD with something to do with physical memory dump, etc. It seem related to ram issues.

But I've done memtest several times, and no errors came up. So should I replace the generic with brand name ram?
 
memtest95 (sorry, no link) will tell you if its the RAM.

As for the switch, I put RAM as #2 on the "don't skimp" buying guide, right behind a quality PSU.

Corsair, Kingston, Mushkin, Crucial (for not overclocking).

Get one of those and you shouldn't have a problem!


Remember, you don't have to get a gig all at once, so if the better branded stuff is more expensive, just buy 512Mb and add-on later.
 
PSU as number 1? I have a 350 Watt generic one right now. Think I should get a better one? I'm trying to move away from these generic brand and moving into quality parts.

Also, couple weeks ago, I was constantly recieving BSODs, even after a clean installation of XP Pro. But now, it's just sporadic BSODs. Everyone pointed the problem to a bad PSU. In what ways can a PSU go bad?
 
Originally posted by UnfaTeFuL
...
In what ways can a PSU go bad?

well, it can:
...not deliver the right voltage on each line
...deliver sporadic voltage to each line
...short
...not be connected properly
...not be powerful enough for the system
 
Originally posted by AR
memtest95 (sorry, no link) will tell you if its the RAM.

You mean Memtest86 I think? You probibly got it mixed up with Prime95. Anyhow, if you can let it run a few full cycles thru memtest with no erroers, I would honestly start looking for other possible problems.
 
Originally posted by Frosty_axe
You mean Memtest86 I think? You probibly got it mixed up with Prime95. Anyhow, if you can let it run a few full cycles thru memtest with no erroers, I would honestly start looking for other possible problems.

Lol, yes. On the way out the door and I definitely botched that one.
 
if you want to test your graphics card/ram, just run a benchmark and loop it for a few hours.

what's the specs of your computer?
 
Originally posted by UnfaTeFuL
this probably sounds stupid, but does memtest check the graphics ram?

Not that I know of. . .
 
AMD Athlon Xp-1900+
2x generic 256MB PC2100 PC266 DDR ram
Shuttle ak31a kt-266a 4x AGP
Aopen Geforce-3 TI200 64 MB ddr
350Watt generic PSU
Creative Lab SB Live 5.1

Had this computer for almost 2 years now. Should I upgrade any parts?
 
run memtest on the ram, see if it gives any errors. if so, replace ram with crucial or other name-brand. if not, your problem could be extremely hard to diagnose. maybe be cpu, psu, hd, mobo, graphics card, driver issues with anything, or even still the ram.
 
Originally posted by UnfaTeFuL
Right now I have generic PC2100 2x 256 ram. My computer's been crashing alot lately, ie. BSOD with something to do with physical memory dump, etc. It seem related to ram issues.

But I've done memtest several times, and no errors came up. So should I replace the generic with brand name ram?
If the memory is not faulty, why the hell would you replace it? Generic memory is not some plague or inherently evil or unstable. Generic memory is probably more often faulty than name-brand memory is, but it isn't nearly always. Generic ram CAN work, as it does in my computer, and when it does, replacing it with name brand memory is a waste of money.

The BSOD you are getting could be from a variety of causes. I would look at dust build up in the case, and cooling. I spent about 12 hours diagnosing a problem in my friend's computer at a LAN, and after reinstalling windows, swapping the RAM, etc., I discovered that the motherboard's fan had stopped running because of dust...
 
Originally posted by ilkka

The BSOD you are getting could be from a variety of causes. I would look at dust build up in the case, and cooling. I spent about 12 hours diagnosing a problem in my friend's computer at a LAN, and after reinstalling windows, swapping the RAM, etc., I discovered that the motherboard's fan had stopped running because of dust...

:eek:
 
Even if your psu is dying... it still should supply enough to your system...

A generic 350 is pushing my friends 9800xt, 3.0c and 2x 73 gig raptors

Dont tell me your sys is pullin more power.

Also I wouldnt upgrade unless you cannot play your games. IMO full aa af isnt a reason to buy a new graphic card.. simply playing it is a reason too. If your system lags where you cant play a game you should upgrade, if not overclock.

also if you want to upgrade figure out what you want to go to. Your most likly going to want to get pc3200 or 3500. SO you can start their. You might also try to get a new psu.. like a vantec stealth since btx is gonna use a 24 pin connections... and vantecs have a 24 pin connection.

Then youll know if you ram or psu is your culpret, and if they arnt, your a few steps into a new system.
 
Back
Top