Should I get BlackOps for PC? Advice needed..

Shadowprice

2[H]4U
Long story short, I'm back into PC gaming. I had been using a Mac for the past few years, where my gaming migrated to Xbox 360 and PS3 for several years and I stuck to WoW on my Mac.

Over the summer, I sold my Mac, and built a new PC that consists of a AMD Phenom 3.2Ghz, ATI 5770HD 1GB video card, 4GB RAM, and I'm using a Asus 23.6" 1080x1020 res.

Right now I mostly play WoW and some old classic games for PC that I've had over the years, and I recently purchased BlackOps for the PS3...

I'm now starting to realize that I'm getting a bit fed up with the shitty p2p hosting and capped matches at 6v6 that console gaming offers right now, the lag online is sometimes horrendous with the absence of dedicated servers.

It's been a long time since I've played twitch style FPS games but I have overall 10+ years of experience under my belt of PC FPS games like Quake, UT, Team Fortress Classic, and Counter-Strike.

So with that in mind, I shouldn't get completely mauled online by the PC gamers, I'll probably be rusty, but with my situation and my current rig, will my BlackOps experience be much better on a PC compared to what I'm playing it on now... and is there a good thriving PC community? With PS3 averaging anywhere from 600-800k players at peak times online, and I imagine more on Xbox, I'm trying to get an idea how many BlackOps players there are on the PC.

Thanks in advance.

Just wanting to see if I could find a match at all times, since I tend to play at oddball hours.

Just so you know, when people report 800k or 2 million players on PSN/Live, that's the number of accounts that played in the past 24 hours, not the peak amount of concurrent players like Steam shows. So it's useless to compare both platforms that way.

But yeah there's always tons of players online, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a server even at 3 am.

Just wanting to see if I could find a match at all times, since I tend to play at oddball hours.

The server browser is full of win compared to the match making system. Instead of waiting for players to join, you can join a server with people already playing. In other words, you get to pick and choose your battles.

Nice. I would love to be able to choose a dedicated west coast server so I get a great ping as opposed to the craptastic peer2peer host matchmaking that PSN/Live provides.

KB/M must be better, graphics must be better too.

I'm thinking I should do this.

Nice. I would love to be able to choose a dedicated west coast server so I get a great ping as opposed to the craptastic peer2peer host matchmaking that PSN/Live provides.

KB/M must be better, graphics must be better too.

I'm thinking I should do this.

My best advise is to run building to building killing the fucking campers... I hate those guys.

On consoles I would never get a good connection. I'll get the drop on someone and put 4 bursts into them as they just casually turn around and shoot me once and I'm dead. Or I'm trying to use my hardened pro perk to get someone through cover and I can see the damage mark trailing and lagging along the player. It's ridiculous, yet most of the pure console gamers think this is standard and normal?

I imagine that BS doesn't go on for PC gaming...

I may sound a little frustrated and fanboyish towards the PC right now.. but I can't help it. :D

If I had to take a guess, I would say that PC games have a WAY greater shelf life. Seems like once the next game in the series is released, the console version is a grave yard.

The COD:BO player count wont be dropping any time soon.

If I had to take a guess, I would say that PC games have a WAY greater shelf life. Seems like once the next game in the series is released, the console version is a grave yard.

The COD:BO player count wont be dropping any time soon.

Really depends on the game in question. Sometimes its vice versa and the console game has better shelf life. If the PC game has modding then without question it'll out last the console version but many PC games these days are console ports.

I would say to the OP that I play both the 360 and PS3 but whenever a excellent quality game comes out I tend to goto the PC first and foremost. Most of the time its the better option and if you get a good well decked out gaming PC it'll blow any console out of the water graphics wise. In fact I would say thats the downside is cost , its not like you have to spend a ton but the more you throw at it the better your game will perform which is quite a difference from consoles being that they are all on level platforms.

Further noting, will my setup run this game nicely?

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2Ghz. 4GB of Corsair XMS3 (2 x 2GB) SDRAM DDR3 1600. Sapphire ATI Raedon HD 5770 1GB. 750W X-Connect PSU, MSi Micro ATX AMD Motherboard, 1TB Western Digital 7200RPM HD.

If you wan't less lag and mouse aiming then you'll need to pick up a copy for your PC. Is the game really worth buying twice though? I guess if you sell your console copy you could recoup some of the cost.

I'd advise reading up on the PC version and it's problems though first.

Singleplayer is a dumbfest. You can look up youtube videos where people are getting through singleplayer campaign without a single shot - that's how heavily scripted this game is. It's not even close to being interactive.

I got bored with multiplayer after obtaining 32 rank. Match types aren't relevant at all, multiplayer gameplay as a whole is just a lone-wolf twitchfest. Playing quickly feels like frag grinding, weapons behave exactly the same (apart from firing rate), character customization is hardly relevant.

That's just my two cents, I paid 60 euro for this piece of garbage and I highly regret it.

Having only played the multiplayer, I'd say wait for the game to go on sale.

I have been playing it the past few days and I really like the game. I like the fact that I can choose what map I am going to play on, since there are some 24/7 single map servers.
Nuketown is where I have played the most since it is really small and you just run and gun and it is easy to level up on this map. Went from lvl 20 to 46 in a few hours yesterday.

If you wan't less lag and mouse aiming then you'll need to pick up a copy for your PC. Is the game really worth buying twice though? I guess if you sell your console copy you could recoup some of the cost.

I'd advise reading up on the PC version and it's problems though first.

I dislike MW2 and bought it for PC + DLC and for 360. I'm apart of the problem and not the solution. :p That being said my girlfriends little brother has had my 360 copy since last December.

"This game is unplayable if you're on a PC and there has been no response from the developers. Releases like this spur on gaming piracy. Treyarch, I'll be illegally downloading your next release and seeding the torrent for the next 6 months."

HAHAHA
Awesome quote!

I don't have this game, so I can't offer any first hand advice.

However, I have never seen such a huge disparity between critic's and player's opinion of a game http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/call-of-duty-black-ops

I realize there are a lot of haters of the COD series at this point and that some issues are getting ironed out, but still, wow!

This shows that people are getting a little jaded at the same multiplayer game design getting rehashed repeatedly.

Also I don't know how they managed it, but the single player content in these games has been going backwards as well. I expect the new CoD single player game will be like Pokemon Snap where you just ride on train tracks and watch everything happen around you with no chance of death.

Not worth $60. Not $50 either. $20. Maybe.

I can't understand people bitching about MoH and then saying that Black Ops is a good game. Honestly....what a travesty.

The way people have been talking, I might have to look into moh when it goes on sale on steam.

The way i see it is that CoD: Black Ops is a complete slaughterhouse, everyone plays for himself, no teamwork for the most part, shitty admin tool, servers are laggy, engine is horribly "optimized", sounds are a complete joke, hell you can't even switch teams in this game, all the while the "horrible" MoH was actually a team based game with a darn fine engine, good sounds and good admin tools with excellent server stability.

Shame on all those who advocate against MoH without ever even playing the final game and say that Black Ops is so much better.

Last edited:
The way i see it is that CoD: Black Ops is a complete slaughterhouse, everyone plays for himself, no teamwork for the most part, shitty admin tool, servers are laggy, engine is horribly "optimized", sounds are a complete joke, hell you can't even switch teams in this game, all the while the "horrible" MoH was actually a team based game with a darn fine engine, good sounds and good admin tools with excellent server stability.

Shame on all those who advocate against MoH without ever even playing the final game and say that Black Ops is so much better.

I'm still thinking over MoH. It was $20 the other day on g2. I keep forcing myself to play the Black Ops multiplayer and I cant find a map or server I enjoy playing though the stuttering thing went away. I didn't pay for this game someone else did but I think if you're not a steam sale whore like some of us it's best priced at $30

OP, get it. It's a great game. If you like multiplayer FPS's then you wont regret it.

honestly, there isn't much that they could of done better with this iteration. They nerfed a lot of the over powered crap from MW2, added a bunch of new features, added zombie mode (easily the most fun part of the game with friends), and all in all, just feels more solid. I was really skeptical at first, but I couldn't be happier with the way black ops turned out

I, personally, love the gun sounds in BO... (WAW also really impressed me with their realistic gun sounds... MW and MW2 were kind of 'meh')

The one thing that makes me wish I got in on the Xbox 360 over the pc is Free-For-All mode. It's 18 players on the PC which is just too many on some of the maps.

The one thing that makes me wish I got in on the Xbox 360 over the pc is Free-For-All mode. It's 18 players on the PC which is just too many on some of the maps.

lol FFA on nuketown is a clusterf*ck. Still a lot of fun though :)

game isn't polished yet its so much fun. I do not know what more to say lol

"This game is unplayable if you're on a PC and there has been no response from the developers. Releases like this spur on gaming piracy. Treyarch, I'll be illegally downloading your next release and seeding the torrent for the next 6 months."

HAHAHA
Awesome quote!

That idiot you're quoting that you think is so cool is probably one of the first ones to whine and bitch about games costing more and DRM. :rolleyes:

However, I have never seen such a huge disparity between critic's and player's opinion of a game http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/call-of-duty-black-ops

I realize there are a lot of haters of the COD series at this point and that some issues are getting ironed out, but still, wow!

Not to break out the tinfoil hat, but its not exactly new for reviews to be bought and sold.

Individual gamers won't lie--they might be blinded by fanboy-ism or they might be retarded, but they'll tell you what they actually believe. Professional reviewers sometimes have to tell us what the boss tells them to tell us.

I wouldn't believe either of those. Pro reviewers many times are wrong or are forced to put a decent score. For Black Ops, I also wouldn't trust what other people rated it- you have a lot of COD haters and Activision hate due to what happened with MW2; Treyarch could have released the greatest COD game ever and those people would still rate it low.

That idiot you're quoting that you think is so cool is probably one of the first ones to whine and bitch about games costing more and DRM. :rolleyes:

My question is how many of those people who buy the game have the torrent as well because of the DRM?

I really question some of these user comments on Meta Critic. Take these few for instance.

cryhax
Nov 9, 2010
Score 0
This game is unplayable if you're on a PC and there has been no response from the developers.

No response on the FIRST FUCKING DAY?

smith
Nov 10, 2010
Score 4
Another pathetic money grab from activision. There's nothing innovative or fun about this version don't bother. Why on earth wasn't infinity ward used on this version? Treyarch is terrible. Remember when they released World At War?

Obviously this guy doesn't understand that separate studios are taking turns on their own COD games.

Nolimits
Nov 10, 2010
Score 2
Is the worst game I ever seen. Play black ops for computer is like play a beta game. Bugs everywhere and the cpu's lag problem. Black ops has 874000 kb cpu usage

What the fuck does 874,000 kb cpu usage mean?

Anyway, I'm guessing many of these supposed reviews are just hate filled younger gamers just venting and wanting to bring everyone else down.

No game is perfect at launch. It will never happen. Get over it and be patient (to a certain degree) for the dev to come out with bug fixes and tweaks.

So far it seems like Treyarch's Josh Olin and David Vonderhaar are doing a far better job at keeping us in the loop than the IW meat puppet Robert Bowling ever did.

Anyway, to the OP. Black Ops multiplayer is a solid game. It's far more balanced than Modern Warfare 2 was. No whorish perks like stopping power, juggernaut, pain killer. No One Man Army bullshit. Hardly anyone uses the grenade launcher. You actually have to work toward kill streaks. Kill streaks are no where near as powerful as they were in MW2. This game is a lot more brutal than MW2 so the players with actual skill (as opposed to camping it out with the grenade launcher, Danger Close, and One Man Army) will stand out more.

Also the map design is more brutal as well. In many of the MW2 levels there were areas where you could just post up and pick guys off one by one. For instance in Terminal you could hang out at the top of the escalators behind the little garden. In Afghan, the desert level, you could hang out on top of the mountain and camp all day long. Not so much in Black Ops.

If you want a COD to play on PC you are way better off with Black Ops than MW2.

Last edited:
Back