Should I get another 8800GTX?`

Flybye

Limp Gawd
I know I know..I'm behind the times LOL. But times are tough and am looking at a cheap solution.

Current specs:
AMD 1.8ghz Opteron running at 2.9ghz (WC)
EVGA 8800GTX (also WC)
DFI NF4 Lan Party
Galaxy 1000w

Yeah, I got the nuclear power to run 2x8800 GTXs, but with my old CPU, is it worth it? Power consumption is not a concern as I only use this rig when I game. 2x8800GTXs make a huge increase in performance, but I can only find benchys on it with Core2Duos. So, I'm not really sure if I will be CPU bottle necked with my little Opty.

I know I know..I'm behind the times LOL. But times are tough and am looking at a cheap solution.

Current specs:
AMD 1.8ghz Opteron running at 2.9ghz (WC)
EVGA 8800GTX (also WC)
DFI NF4 Lan Party
Galaxy 1000w

Yeah, I got the nuclear power to run 2x8800 GTXs, but with my old CPU, is it worth it? Power consumption is not a concern as I only use this rig when I game. 2x8800GTXs make a huge increase in performance, but I can only find benchys on it with Core2Duos. So, I'm not really sure if I will be CPU bottle necked with my little Opty.

Depends how much you can get a working 8800GTX for. If it's realy really cheap then I'd say go for it. Otherwise sell your 8800GTx and get a GTX 285 as I remember seeing it outperform 8800GTX in Sli all by itself.

I've been seeing the 8800GTXs sold on eBay for between $75 - $100. I even saw one guy selling one here locally in Craig's List for $80.

your cpu is about like my E8500 lowered to around 2.2 so it would be a fairly large bottleneck when dealing with all the sli cpu overhead. not to mention it would certainly not have the power to fully utilize that kind of gpu power in general for more cpu intensive modern games.

I Had a 8800GTX SLi Rig but was strapped with a AMD Athlon X2 6000+, and it was still a bottle neck.

I Upgraded to a Phenom II 955BE and then toasted one of my 8800's because it FINALLY being used.... oops...

Note: It was a PNY card and they just gave me the bird on a RMA.

Alright thanks guys. At least now I know not to bother with another one till I get a new cpu/mobo/mem combo.

get a cheap s939 dual core liek 3800x2 or 4800x2 most can do ~2.6 at least

I'd get a radeon 5770/4890 and use 8800gtx for physx

s939 may be discontinued, but it's not outdated. It rivals the entry dualcore am2 builds.

I have two friends running s939 systems w/ ~2GB ram, and a 4850, they play modern games at mid-high settings at 1080p

That is what I have, kohan. A socket 939 Opty, but mine is overclocked to 2.9ghz since it is watercooled. I try to play most of my games at 1200p with a little bit of AA and AF here and there depending on the game, of course.

That is what I have, kohan. A socket 939 Opty, but mine is overclocked to 2.9ghz since it is watercooled. I try to play most of my games at 1200p with a little bit of AA and AF here and there depending on the game, of course.

the problem is that many modern games are designed to be multicore optimized, and some may run much better on a lower frequency with dual cores than with a high clocking single core.

the problem is that many modern games are designed to be multicore optimized, and some may run much better on a lower frequency with dual cores than with a high clocking single core.
where does it say his Opty is single core?

Yep, my opteron is a dual core. Guess I should have mentioned that for the people that didn't know.

Btw...I will always hate AMD for not supporting 939 for a longer period of time. :p

Yep, my opteron is a dual core. Guess I should have mentioned that for the people that didn't know.

Btw...I will always hate AMD for not supporting 939 for a longer period of time. :p

I forgot about the dualcore opterons, never got one since they were too pricey.

Let me guess - you have a 165? :cool:

I'm guessing you have 2x1GB DDR1, you could probably find some identical sticks for cheap nowadays, crank that shiet up to 4GB, slap in a geforce 465 and you're good for another 2 years

I'd keep your 8800gtx for physx

Some good deals on 260: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1545839

but i'd wait til november- new cards coming out by ati, should make the current prices a bit lower

Last edited:
I forgot about the dualcore opterons, never got one since they were too pricey.

Let me guess - you have a 165? :cool:

I'm guessing you have 2x1GB DDR1, you could probably find some identical sticks for cheap nowadays, crank that shiet up to 4GB, slap in a geforce 465 and you're good for another 2 years
a gtx465 is about the dumbest choice he could make. the gtx460 is just as fast, runs cooler, and uses less power. also a card of that level will have over 1/3 of its performance go right down the drain with his cpu.

..... also a card of that level will have over 1/3 of its performance go right down the drain with his cpu.
And that is exactly what I don't want to happen.

I think I even read some time ago that my little Opteron 165 can't even give the 8800GTX all the horsepower it needs.

What is really funny is that I installed the HAWX demo, and I was pushing between 60-120fps on it at 1920x1200. Damn silly console ports with rubbish graphics. :p

And that is exactly what I don't want to happen.

I think I even read some time ago that my little Opteron 165 can't even give the 8800GTX all the horsepower it needs.

What is really funny is that I installed the HAWX demo, and I was pushing between 60-120fps on it at 1920x1200. Damn silly console ports with rubbish graphics. :p
well at 2.9 its a pretty good match with your 8800gtx. in more cpu intensive game it would certainly be a bit lacking but really at 1920 your 8800gtx is a limitation for many games too. at this point you need a new platform along with a new graphics card as upgrading just one or the other will not give the best experience.

Hey I'm building a new Rig and have 2 very good 8800GTX's. I would sell you one for $80 plus shipping if your interested. They SLi great.

DC

Back