Should i get a x850xt ??

Bigjohns97

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 18, 2000
Messages
1,245
Right now i have the following system

amd axp @ 2.4ghz
abit nf7-s
1gig pc3200
radeon 9800 pro


I am looking to get some better framerates in cs:s and all other games. You think i should get an x850xt?
 

Project_2501

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
1,170
IMO, nah, Get an X800XL and save about $200. That way you can spend the money else where, and still get really good framerates. That AXP would bottleneck most and higher-end 800 or 850 card. No worries though, they'll still kick ass.
 

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Feb 22, 2001
Messages
11,836
Stick with your old 9800 pro, it's still a good card.

Wait for the new cards comming out in a couple months if you really want to upgrade.
 

Bigjohns97

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 18, 2000
Messages
1,245
Project_2501 said:
IMO, nah, Get an X800XL and save about $200. That way you can spend the money else where, and still get really good framerates. That AXP would bottleneck most and higher-end 800 or 850 card. No worries though, they'll still kick ass.

But i am not planning on getting anything newer right now, I am waiting for some technologies to pan out, and i am not ready to buy a whole system.
 

Bigjohns97

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 18, 2000
Messages
1,245
IceDigger said:
Stick with your old 9800 pro, it's still a good card.

Wait for the new cards comming out in a couple months if you really want to upgrade.

I'm afriad any cards comming out after this will be all pci-e.
 

Project_2501

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
1,170
Well the $200 could be more games, or food. :) I mean, if I had an extra $200 to spend, I'd get a kickass gaming mouse if I didn't have one (i have an MX1000 and a razer diamondback, the razer is a better gamind mouse.) and I'd probably get better speakers, which i still need to do.
 

rcf1987

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 9, 2004
Messages
3,759
Get a 3200 XP then go for a newer video card. Like Project_2501 it is a kick ass card but even a 3200 XP will bottleneck an 850 card.
 

Bigjohns97

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 18, 2000
Messages
1,245
Project_2501 said:
Well the $200 could be more games, or food. :) I mean, if I had an extra $200 to spend, I'd get a kickass gaming mouse if I didn't have one (i have an MX1000 and a razer diamondback, the razer is a better gamind mouse.) and I'd probably get better speakers, which i still need to do.

To answer this :
I have a logitech tackman marble, which i believe is the best trackball out for gaming. On top of that i edited the usbport.sys file on my winxp install so the usb report rate is @ 500mhz just like the mx1000 except i have 360 degrees of mobility.


As for the speakers i have my optical out on my soundstorm going to a denon 2803 6.1 surround sound reciever with mirage omnisats placed along the celing of my room. Everything coming from my computer is automatically encoded to Dolby Digital on the fly and sent to my reciever, it's the best sound i have encountered out of pc's.

I just don't understand how the 850 is going to be bottlenecked that much on a xp @ 2.4ghz.
 

Project_2501

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
1,170
Oh, but it will.

As for the mouse and speakers, it was just a suggestion. My razer (I believe) has a higher transfer rate than my MX1000 and feels more responsive, and I've been getting more headshots on CoD:UO. Keep pissing off people. Hehe.

BTW, damn nice sound system you have there. Too much for me though, I'd settle with some Z-5300e or Z-5500s.
 

Arkanian

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 8, 2004
Messages
1,883
I am in the same boat..look at sig. They just released the X850XT-PE for the AGP but this is too close I think to when the R520 will come out. Also, ATI has made a bridge so that PCI-E will work in 8x AGP slots. I think that all newer cards will be PCI-E but they will either come with the bridge or you have to buy the bridge sperate. I think the latter.
 

legcramp

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Aug 16, 2004
Messages
12,320
rcf1987 said:
Get a 3200 XP then go for a newer video card. Like Project_2501 it is a kick ass card but even a 3200 XP will bottleneck an 850 card.

nah dont even shell money out for an athlon 3200+...his axp already dusts a stock athlon 3200+..waste of money...get the x800XL agp or 6800GT agp and sell ur axp setup and get athlon 64 with the money u got from ur old setup and the money left-over from the intended use for the x850xt
 

Pkirk618

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 12, 2002
Messages
5,736
save a little cash, get the XL and buy another monitor. If you need one of course.



Add more ram for bragging rights. I agree with all the bottlenecking.
 

Lajnus

n00b
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
50
i just upgraded from a 9800pro to a x850xt and i just love it :) i would go for it
 

Elios

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 12, 2004
Messages
7,286
yea go for the X800XL if your set on ATi or a even a 6800nu which ever
realy any thing faster is going to be held back by your CPU
adding some mem too would be good if you dont have a gig now
i know my 6800GT is held back by my A64 3000+ @ 2.3
 

GregP24

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 21, 2004
Messages
1,860
Bigjohns97 said:
Right now i have the following system

amd axp @ 2.4ghz
abit nf7-s
1gig pc3200
radeon 9800 pro


I am looking to get some better framerates in cs:s and all other games. You think i should get an x850xt?

I would say no. Your system will not be able to harness the power of the vid card. I would suggest a 6600GT or X700Pro if you really must upgrade. But the perfromance diference over a 9800Pro isn't really worh $200.
 

Bigjohns97

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 18, 2000
Messages
1,245
Thanks for the comments people, i guess i will just wait and save up a bunch of money and build a whole new system when bf2 comes out.
 

Hate_Bot

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 23, 2005
Messages
3,334
Save up, and buy a brand new (PCI-E) system with a venic Athlon, and R520/G70 etc
 

stelleg151

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 4, 2004
Messages
444
definately agree on the cpu bottleneck, as many of the benchmarks I have seen recently, evne at 1600x1200, can be cpu limited at some points, and thats not by an xp, but by a 64 4000+. So basically, if one of the top of the line cpus, best for gaming out there almost, is a bottleneck with these high end cards, you can bet your hankies that your trusty old xp wont be able to keep up in a lot of situations.
 

Rollo

Gawd
Joined
Jul 11, 2004
Messages
972
Do not buy a X800 anything these days. 1. The days of SM2/24bit are over. (evidence: Far Cry EXR HDR, Riddick Soft Shadows, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory SM3 [no SM2]) 2. If you like ATI and have brand loyalty for some misguided reason, wait till their modern cards come out later this year



I say "misguided" because I can guarantee any companies loyalty to you extends to your wallet only.

Anyway, if you want a better AGP card I say 6800GT: modern features that support MS standard, close enough to X850XT performance that it's doubtful you'd know the difference on your AXP rig.
 

Hate_Bot

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 23, 2005
Messages
3,334
Rollo said:
Do not buy a X800 anything these days. 1. The days of SM2/24bit are over. (evidence: Far Cry EXR HDR, Riddick Soft Shadows, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory SM3 [no SM2]) 2. If you like ATI and have brand loyalty for some misguided reason, wait till their modern cards come out later this year



I say "misguided" because I can guarantee any companies loyalty to you extends to your wallet only.

Anyway, if you want a better AGP card I say 6800GT: modern features that support MS standard, close enough to X850XT performance that it's doubtful you'd know the difference on your AXP rig.

Ho Man!... :rolleyes:
 

arman01

Gawd
Joined
Feb 9, 2005
Messages
759
HELL NO !
waste of money dude....your Athlon XP would bottleneck it....i say if you're going to spend that much on a videocard, wait until the next gen R520 comes out...it should be the same price as an X850XT is now.......and X850XT prices will go down...

OR you could get an X800XL and upgrade your proc. to an Athlon 64 .....which would give a better overall performance
 

Morphes

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 16, 2001
Messages
4,318
yeah i would recomend you upgrade your mobo and processor, so you get PCI-e x16 slot then a x800 (pro, xt, not up on ati stuff), this way you ballance out the bottleneck and get hullava fast system :) just my opinion
 

Obi_Kwiet

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
3,858
Dude, I have a 9800pro and I can run CS:S at 1280x960 with AA and AF almost on full at an acceptable FPS. I think a with a 6800GT, or an XL with everything on full, the the frames are going to be so high that it won't be possible to notice the difference bettween that and the X850XT.
 

Arkanian

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 8, 2004
Messages
1,883
Obi_Kwiet said:
Dude, I have a 9800pro and I can run CS:S at 1280x960 with AA and AF almost on full at an acceptable FPS. I think a with a 6800GT, or an XL with everything on full, the the frames are going to be so high that it won't be possible to notice the difference bettween that and the X850XT.
The difference you will see is the FPS when crancking the res and AA/AF up.
 

Siciliano

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 20, 2005
Messages
132
Guys I currently have a 9800 pro on a AMD 64 3000+ S754 1 gig of Kingston Hyper-X pc 3200 Low Latency 2-2-2-5 and I was considering a X850 XT PE system simply because I made a grave error of building this system last July(shoulda gone S939), but I don't wish to abandon this system so quickly.

Do you think ATI's next gen will bottleneck on my system? Or will it be basically be a matter of just cranking up the AA AF and resolution to eliminate bottlenecking?
 

pandora's box

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 7, 2004
Messages
4,813
bottlenecks are elminated by cranking the resolution and maxing out the aa and af. i personally am planning on getting the x850 xt agp. it will give me a ton of head room, then in about a month upgrade to athlon 64
 

tranCendenZ

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 6, 2004
Messages
3,844
i'd stick with your current setup. If you want more speed, get an Athlon64 3200+, SLI-capable mobo like the ASUS K8N-SLI, and a 6800GT. That will greatly boost your speed and give you an upgrade path, while future proofing you with SM3.0 & FP16 HDR support. Spending more on a card now won't be worth it with your current proc.
 

azure

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 21, 2003
Messages
201
I would agree with everyone that says you will have a bottleneck, that is why I updated my processor and mobo about 6 months ago. (Money doesn't grow on trees, so I could not get everything at once, 939's had just come out, the lowest was the 3500 at the time and I didn't want to spend as much.) I just recently got the 850xt and oc'd my A64 3200 to 2.42ghz. I had a 9800 pro, the 850xt is so much better.

I wanted to get my machine ready for bf2, I am ready......

Besides the 850xt also lowered my system temp by around 3 degrees.
 
Top