• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should I get a sound card?

Joined
Oct 11, 2004
Messages
549
I am a big gamer but have never used a sound card before. I have just used the onboard sound with my motherboard and that has seemed to work fine. But I have been looking at sound cards lately:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102163

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102188

Between theses two cards which would you get. Also what do you want to look for in a sound card and please educate me on sound cards because I don't know much about them. Also I would like to spend around 50-100 on a card.

Thanks,
Winchester1897
 
I would get the X-Fi out of those two, but I haven't bought any creative products for a long time. I have had good luck with my M-Audio 5.1 Revolution. :)
 
I was a lot like you, and then I saw a deal on the X-Fi at circuit city for $80 bucks and I jumped on it. I don't think I could go back to onboard audio. Especially if you have a nice 5.1 system or some good headphones. I love my X-Fi xtrememusic. You can probably get it for a better price then that though if you look for deals.
 
As I recently posted in another thread, the X-Fi is definately a good card for the price.

saturnine2 said:
I just got an "open item" X-Fi @ Best Buy for an insane price... Works great now that I figured out how to get my video card to work after installing it :p Seems that on some motherboards, you have to set the AGP aperture to 256mb to get your card to work right with an X-Fi. Weird. Anyways, coming from a long line of sound cards (Philips something, On-Board, A1, A2, A2ZS, TBSC, Extigy, EMU0404, EMU1212m, Bithead, AV710) this is a nice worthwhile upgrade to the Audigy line. Unlike some others here, I was able to play BF2 in ultra mode (without crashes!), and I noticed a very slight improvement in sound positioning compared to the Audigy2. The overall sound quality also seems to have been improved. The much scrutinized Crysalizer feature really can make a good difference with extremely low bitrate files (I ripped a few tracks @ 96kbps) when using speakers. While they sound nowhere near redbook (cd) quality, the Crysalizer does make some files sound better. And that is coming from a audiophile wannabe ;) The drivers are also much improved compared to the rest of the Audigy line. No more AOL icon, no more needing the CD to install downloaded drivers, no more bloatware! I'm definately impressed with this card so far when it comes to games, but the 1212m is definately here to stay in reguard to music :)
 
ShimmyT said:
I was a lot like you, and then I saw a deal on the X-Fi at circuit city for $80 bucks and I jumped on it. I don't think I could go back to onboard audio. Especially if you have a nice 5.1 system or some good headphones. I love my X-Fi xtrememusic. You can probably get it for a better price then that though if you look for deals.


waht deal for 80 bucks?
 
Thanks for the Help guys!

Ps: Here are the speakers I have.
Link
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
But can you honestly tell the difference?

Lets make the assumption that you ignore the bus noise and all that wouldnt it all come out the same?
 
awdark said:
But can you honestly tell the difference?

Lets make the assumption that you ignore the bus noise and all that wouldnt it all come out the same?

I don't think I've ever seen motherboard audio do positional sound so well.
 
Hrmm so its all about the sound position? And less about the quality... How amusing.
Will the benefits only come from 5.1 speakers or will old 2.1s still benefit?

So if I were to get an older creative say for example "Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit 30SB041000000 Sound Card - OEM" I should theoretically be able to tell where the bullets are coming from better than the 7 year old sound card I have now (onboard sux sooo bad that I resorted to it for clean audio)

(Trying not to threadjack but I think he got his answer and I like the subject line)
 
Back
Top