• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should i get a Q9550?

piXel

Gawd
Joined
Jul 17, 2007
Messages
535
As christmas is coming up im kind of tempted to buy a quad, at the moment i have an e7200 clocked at 3.2 ghz (wont go any further), 4gigs corsair XMS 800 mhz and a GTX 260.

I use this PC mainly for gaming really im wondering if there is going to be a decent difference performance wise in games over the Dual core, due to my ram im guessing id get an 3.4 ghz overclock on the 9550 by running 8.5 * 400 or is it different on quads?
 
I'd grab one if you have a Microcenter nearby, or a relative who is. At $200 and over territory you're looking at Core i7 territory, at over $175 you're in the Core i7 ballpark too. The Core 2 Quads just haven't come down that far in price, it's really too bad.
 
Im from the UK. If i upgrade to an I7 were talking a hell of alot of money with new mobo and ram i just cant afford. :p

9950 about £170 here which isnt too bad.
 
I went from an E6850@3.4GHz to a Q9550@3.8GHz, it's definitely a lot snappier.
 
I went from an E6850@3.4GHz to a Q9550@3.8GHz, it's definitely a lot snappier.

Same, though stock clocks (3Ghz.) on the e6850 to 3.66Ghz on the q9550.

It allowed me to enable mutli-core support in TF2 and avoid the hitching my 6850 would experience.
 
I also agree you should grab a Q9550 while you can.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
I did, and it's one of the best investments I have ever made in my PC...
 
I bought one and then sold it after a week because of buyers remorse. I hate that nagging feeling of damn, I paid so much for this EOLing cpu when I could've sold my motherboard and ram and bought i5/i7 stuff without much loss.
 
I did, and it's one of the best investments I have ever made in my PC...

Ditto. I've been running mine @3.8ghz for over a year now without any problems whatsoever. Runs rather cool too at that speed.

Good luck with whatever you get.:)
 
I have one. I'm fairly fond of it.

3.8ghz @ stock volts. 4.1ghz with a little tweaking. I keep pushing for four and a quarter but can't quite get it as stable as I'd like.
 
What kind of board do you have? The P45 really are the sweet ones for OCing a 45nm 775 socket quad, also most 800 speed RAM can hit 900MHz, so I would think you might even be able to hit 3.8Ghz with good enough cooling.

Things for me are how long does this rig need to last? Because as you said, i7's over there are not cheap, so will it last you long enough for them to come down in price? If not then it's a good idea to get the quad now, since I only see them going up in price.
 
Back
Top