Should I get a 980x ES?

Tsumi

[H]F Junkie
I have a chance to get a 980x ES chip for about $400, and I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle and risk. I've been looking for a cheap 6-core, and this seems to fit the bill nicely, except for that nasty Engineering Sample part. He claims it has never been overclocked.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I would spend the extra $100 and get the real thing i7 980X new that is unless ebay prices have gone up since I got my i7 970 last November. You may have to bid on every chip like I did to get my chip..

Yeah, his motherboard was RMA'd, and I highly doubt that it was RMA'd due to failing at stock settings.

He's tossing in his Asus P6X58D premium for an additional $100, so $500 for the 980x and motherboard. I think that's a fairly good deal, even with the ES.

Ebay has the 980x going for anywhere between $600-700. The 970 is the one you can get for ~500 or less.

I had a Cel-T ES back in the day. That thing was awesome.

I bought an ES mobile i5 a few months ago to upgrade my laptop, and I had nothing but problems with it. Intel's own software wouldn't install because it said that it was a chip that was never released to the public. Ended up returning it to get my money back.

After that experience, I'll never screw with an ES chip again.

why not just spend a few $$$ more and get a 3930k if you don't have a mb already? mine clocks to 5ghz on water so you get more ipc and a higher oc out of it.

(18) You will not discuss, suggest, engage, or encourage any ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES. Links provided to locations that deal with any such activity are also expressly forbidden.

why not just spend a few $$$ more and get a 3930k if you don't have a mb already? mine clocks to 5ghz on water so you get more ipc and a higher oc out of it.

That would cost significantly more. I already have the motherboard (MSI Big Bang Xpower). And I would sell the 920 and the extra motherboard to my cousin.

Not understanding the law very well, but I understand its illegal for person A to sell the chip (since they got it legitimately from intel and agreed to the T&C), but is it illegal for person B, to sell it to person C, neither of which have signed or agreed to such limitations.

I've decided I'm not going to bother with it, and I'll just wait for an i7 970 deal to come along.

I've decided I'm not going to bother with it, and I'll just wait for an i7 970 deal to come along.

I got mine for $356.02 shipped new in box in October / November however I did bid for every single i7 970 on eBay for 2 to 3 weeks. I also bid on 980X and 990X but didn't get any for the $450 I was willing to pay. :D

I would advise that you never buy an ES processor there is just to many issues that could come up with them.

First of all, in order to get an ES processor the company or person that you got it from has already shown that they are unethical by selling a processor that they didnt own and agreed that they wouldnt sell in the first place.

Second ES processors will not have any support from the manufacturer and may cause other problems with that may not be supported with other products. That is what these products are designed for to track down any issues that come up.

For more information on ES see http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-030747.htm

Not understanding the law very well, but I understand its illegal for person A to sell the chip (since they got it legitimately from intel and agreed to the T&C), but is it illegal for person B, to sell it to person C, neither of which have signed or agreed to such limitations.

Person A doesn't own the processor. Intel does. So any possession of the processor outside of person A is possession of stolen property

Back