Should I get a 10/100/1000 NIC?

jamezzz122

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a 10/100 NIC right now. Shoould I upgrade it? Does 1000 get used yet? I use the NIC for LANs and wireless for my home.

Well, when you think about it.....

Enless you're running a company in your house, most internet connections are 1.5 or 3 MBPS. So 100 MBPS for your LAN is more then enough. Enless you make HUGE file transfers every day, it's not worth the money.

ComputerBox34 said:
Well, when you think about it.....

Enless you're running a company in your house, most internet connections are 1.5 or 3 MBPS. So 100 MBPS for your LAN is more then enough. Enless you make HUGE file transfers every day, it's not worth the money.

Alrighty then. So my internet connection isn't really running at 54MBPS like it says?

No, it's not.
  • All protocols have overhead. On a 100Mbps LAN, 80Mbps throughput is outstanding
  • Wireless throughput ratio is significantly less than wired
  • Your eventual net connection is much slower than that (as noted earlier, probably about 1 - 1.5Mbps throughput)

There's really not much use for GigE to the desktop. There's certainly not, in your case, if you've currently got a wireless network.

It is nice if your moving lots of file around....

I mean, don't run out and replace all your cards with 10/100/1000 cards... but the prices have come way down so make your next card one.

its good for lan parties, when trying to transfer files from your friends

Snikku said:
its good for lan parties, when trying to transfer files from your friends

Hmm...I do transfer files sometimes at LANs...

Would a one person with a 10/100/1000 and one with a 10/100 NIC perform bette rthan two 10/100?

jamezzz122 said:
Would a one person with a 10/100/1000 and one with a 10/100 NIC perform bette rthan two 10/100?
No. You would need a GigE card on each end plus GigE switches, etc, plus GigE-rated cable to see an improvement.

Here is something to think about:

Standard gigabit network card: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-122-133&depa=0

$35 (rough estimate) Then you times it by all the computers in your house.

Gigabit Switch: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-130-111&depa=0

$110 - This isn't even wireless, and it's only 8 ports

You need gigabit rated wire as well but I'm too lazy to look up the price.

Anyway, bottom line is that your going to end up blowing $150-$250 (depending how many cards and how much wire you buy) just for something you don't need. I rather get an upgrade for my computer.

Does this make sense to you?

Unless you have all the hardware to support it, like a switch or router or whatever that runs at 10/100/1000 it would be a waste. Also, i'm not sure how much you can use it for if it's a home thing. I have one built in on my motherboard though, its just a fun little thing to have.

Dell has 8port switch for $50 after $50mir. I just snagged one myself, seems good but haven't speed tested gigabit yet, need to buy a few more nics.
Also I wouldn't touch the cheep nics, at least not those.
Need at least Interrupt Moderation and/or rx/tx tcp udp offloads.
*Most intel and broadcom (3com) nics.

jamezzz122 said:
Hmm...I do transfer files sometimes at LANs...

nah, when im really impatient, i bring out my trusty firewire cable :D

I can tell you a great use for this. My HTPC gets a lot of HD Movies going to it from my main computer. And the wireless I have on the HTPC is definately not cutting transferring a 22gig movie file. I am waiting for switches to go down in price before getting one, though that dell for $50 sounds like something I need to look into.

Ugh now to make some cat6 wires.

cat6? naaw cat5e. cheaper and does gigabit. anything over gigabit might have to have optical anyways....

there gets to a point where the connection is faster than the hard drive

I am waiting for a 1000gb switch/802.11g wireless router....

Oh I wired our office with Cat6. So I can take a little from the spool we have sitting under my desk. =)

jaqie said:
cat6? naaw cat5e. cheaper and does gigabit. anything over gigabit might have to have optical anyways....

I said HD movie files, to be more specific Some Kind of Rings extended edition, in transport stream. You have obviously never seen an HD movie rip before on an HDTV. :eek: Thats what happens when you watch them. And exactly why there is an actual use for home gigabit networking. People have separate HTPC's with jukebox servers to store these enormous files. They dont work as well when burning split up DVD's. Plus you have to change 3 dvd's to watch a normal length movie.

Mongoose said:
22gig movie file??????

you might want to think about re-encoding those

Back