Should I fry chicken on my 1080gtx? Thermal grease for best taste?

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
I wanted to know what increase, if any, would I see if I redid the thermal paste on my 1080gtx properly.

Do you guys think it would be worth it? How hard is it to get the card apart to be able to apply a nice dab of MX-4 paste?

3 to 5c out of the question? What do you think?

0 to 3 C, unless the paste job has too little applied, in which case it can be as high as 20 to 30C. Especially since EVGA uses a type of Shin Etsu if i'm not mistaken.

I dont think mx4 is an improvement over shin-etsu. Get some gelid extreme maybe. Are your temps really that bad though? That should be a very good cooler you have on it.

I dont think mx4 is an improvement over shin-etsu. Get some gelid extreme maybe. Are your temps really that bad though? That should be a very good cooler you have on it.

I've had cards in the past before where the HSF looks secured onto the card properly but there was actually a slight gap (lope sided) between the GPU IHS and the HS base of the GPU cooler. Dropped my temps by 15'C under load once I fixed this problem. Definitely something to look out for as well.

I actually came in hoping for entertaining chicken recipes but alas.

Doesn't hurt to check the paste, but like others said, unless you're well over the average temperature for 1080s, it may not even be worth the effort.

I was WTFing over thread title. more than a little disappointed...
cleaning and applying new tim shouldn't hurt. and in one of their last gpu tear-down videos gamersnexus found doubled up thermal pads on a couple of the vrms causing several others to not even have contact with the heatsink. oops!

Unless you go for the best tim money can buy - don't waste your time. Even then it would probably be just a tiny improvement...

Maybe if you use Coolaboratory Liquid Pro/Ultra you'll see some nice gains of 3-5oC or so.

Just do it don't mess up your fan plugs though rip them out and make the card a door stop instead.

I went from 83 degrees celsius on my 980ti to like 76 celsius so it's worth it.
I used Tuniq X2 which is a older thermal paste that had a good rating from Maximum PC.

I just found a chart with more recent thermal pastes recently...

Which is the Best Thermal Paste? – 2015 (Update)

Back