• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should I even OC with this setup?

Whipsmack

Gawd
Joined
Oct 17, 2005
Messages
675
I've got:

Asus P4P 800 Deluxe
P4 2.4c
1 gig Kingston VALUE RAM (PC3200)KVR400X64C3
400w PSU

I was reading that I would probably want some decent RAM to handle the OC, but i'm not sure what I can do with this setup. How much do you think a safe OC would be here?

Thanks!
 
wow depending on your *cooling* solution... that 2.4C can OC upwards of 3.0+ ghz m8!
 
Well I heard the 2.4c was good for OC'ing but what about my RAM...is that going to foul things up with that el cheapo memory?
 
you could always run the ram at 2/3 or 1/2 if you are worried, or relax the timings, though i suggest running the ram at 2/3 or 1/2

add: make sure you have a nice psu, dont oc with noname crap, also get a nice hsf, the stock hsf wont be able to handle anymore then say 15% oc... from experience anyway
 
Yeah you can definately OC the cpu some and most likely you will want to run a divider on your RAM.
 
HELL YES!!

I think every 2.4C will hit 3.0Ghz easily.

First change your ratio to 5:4 and crank up the FSB (gradually)
You should be able to hit 3Ghz NO PROBLEM at 250FSB.

My 2.4C did 3.6Ghz at 300Mhz FSB with 3:2 ratio so my ram was perfectly in spec at DDR400 / PC3200.

I've moved the 2.4C over to my shuttle XPC which I only run it a 3.2Ghz b/c its some what cramped & hot in that little shuttle. (airflow isn't good enough in it, at least not at the slow /quiet speed I keep it at)

Anyway, YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY OC your set up. You will get a HUGE improvement at 3Ghz, and you'll probably hit 3.2Ghz - 3.4Ghz+

Use the 5:4 ratio up to about 255FSB, and if you can get that high drop the ratio to 3:2 and then see how high you can get with that ratio.
 
Thanks for the input. I do have a nice thermal take PSU. One question, what is a RAM divider? Sorry maybe I should check out the newbie link some more heh.
 
a ram divider is basicly under clocking your ram so that when you raise the FSB to 250 or what ever your ram is only running at 400......EXAMPLE

my 4400+ is 11x200FSB to get my 2.2GHz stock speed.
the 200MHz fab is then multiplied by 5 to get the 1GHz fsb of my chip.....
the 200MHz of the fsb is doubled to get DDR400 ram speeds

this is all fine and dandy, if i wanted to run at stock speeds...but who wants to do that? :p ;)

what i did to my processor is...
11x237MHz fsb to get my 2.6GHz OC'ed speed
the 237MHz of my fsb is then multiplied by 4 to get close to the inspec range of my memory controller. (if i dont drop my multiplier from 5x to 4x i would get 1185Mhz HTT which would not allow my system to boot)
but this poses another problem...if i kept my ram set a ddr400 speeds, it would actually clock my ram at 474MHz which is WAY over spec for my ram, so i am forced to drop it down using a 5/4 memory divider. AKA underclocking my ram to ddr333 speed in the bios. But my ram doesnt run at ddr333 speeds, the increase of the fsb makes it crank back up to ddr374 speeds (close enough to ddr400 speeds)
 
Back
Top