Should I consider ESXi with my NAS?

SadTelevision8558

Limp Gawd
Ok, so I obviously built an overpowered system for a home NAS:
- i3 2100
- 8GB RAM
- 6x2TB Samsung F4s

If I want ZFS, I'm told I should have VT-d, which unfortunately my processor lacks. Would it be worth considering getting rid of the i3 2100 and getting an i5 2400 instead?

I'm not a super power user or anything, but I'd like to look into the possibility... shrug. Of course I realize my life would be just fine and dandy keeping it as a NAS.

depends if you want to spend the money. You'd need a processor and idealy more ram.
I wouldnt bother trying to run ZFS without VT-d, despite it being possible.

Well I think I'm only considering the i5. RAM... highly unlikely but maybe.

For me to swap out everything and go Xeon and ECC is a little out of the question. The difference between an i3 and i5 is $50 at MicroCenter, so it's an easily affordable upgrade.

For now I could see myself using a Windows box for capturing TV shows. Otherwise I feel like all this power is totally underused.

There's nothing that says you have to migrate to Xeon + ECC to do ESXi. My home ESX machine for several years now has been a Q6600 with 8 (and now 16) GB of regular old DDR2.

Upgrade your plans to something that supports VT-d, and get 16 GB of DDR3. The cost differential shouldn't be too bad.

IMO ZFS is the real motivating reason to get ECC, if you're not getting it for that there's no reason to do it for ESX.

Viper GTS

I would re purpose the box to be your ESXi server and build a smaller low powered box to be your ZFS NAS box.

Back