n00b
Just seeking a bit of advice please :

My current system is a Dell Studio 1749 with the following spec :

Core I5 M540 @ 2.54Ghz
8Gb RAM
Win 7 64 bit
Radeon HD6500M
Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS Hybrid 500Gb SSD/HDD

The system, although a laptop, is used connected to 2 external displays, a keyboard and mouse - It is very rarely used actually AS a laptop.

The main use is as follows :

Graphic editing with Fireworks CS5
Recording / Rendering instructional videos using Camtasia 7
Software development with Visual Studio
PHP develeopment (but using Notepad++ so no real load here lol)
FTP & Amazon S3 uploads/downloads
Playing SWTOR, WOW and Skyrim.

Sorry if that's too much info but I thought it best to give it all.

Anyway, I am think about purchasing an SSD (and correct caddy) to install in my Dell's 2nd bay. I have the following SSD's on my shortlist :

OCZ Agility 3 240GB - £119

Intel 330 180Gb - £89

I would install the OS and the apps on the SSD and use the 500gb drive for data.

My standard config is : Win 7, full Adobe CS5 suite, Office 2010, Visual Studio, WOW, SWTOR, Skyrim, Camtasia, Oracle Virtualbox and VMware running three other virtual OS images (LAMP Server, Ubuntu Desktop and Win XP) - Would the 180Gb be sufficient for this OS/App loadout?

Would I get any REAL WORLD benefit over my current config? Boot times aren't important as the machine tends to be booted up once in the morning and then shut down at night. Would I get a noticeable performance difference in my day to day work from the investment?

Also, any thoughts on the two drives I have mentioned?

My priority is on reliability.

Any help MUCH appreciated.

I wouldn't touch OCZ.

I would get an Intel 330 (which I did) or a Samsung 830.

You would for sure see a difference. I went from a mechanical drive to an Intel 330 SSD (256GB) and saw some major differences in everything that I do on this computer. The drive isn't even running on SATA III and the difference is night and day.

i'm looking at the same situation: Samsung 830 or 840 (horror stories on 840 pro). I want to get one by Christmas time. 256 GB.

I would love a 256Gb drive but £89 delivered for the 180Gb seems like a HUGE bargain to me!

Just found a Crucial M4 256Gb for £115 - maybe that would be an option rather than the Intel 330?

the crucial m4 is a good choice i also like the vertex 4 series,
but your miles will vary, i have hear good things and bad things about almost every brand out there

Picked up a Mushkin Chronos Delux 240 GB from the forums.

Need to up post count so I can post in B&S.

The Crucial M4 and Samsung 830 are great drives, own both and they're fast. I don't know about the 840, it seems they have replaced the 830.

Yes, get an SSD. Crucial or Samsung are both great choices. I have both and zero issues with either.

Intel 330 or samsung 830/840 If you can get a better deal of either one go with it, but I would recommend samsung hands down, they make all their own parts and a custom controller.

Keep an eye on Crucial M4 on NE... was $75 for 128 last time I saw two weeks ago. Prob cheaper for the BF deals.

Back