Should I bother with a Benq XL2420Z or keep waiting for Vapor Rog Swift?

l88bastard

2[H]4U
Ok, I'm bored and sold my gaming Qnix today and am having sellers remorse as my 34UM95 just does not cut it for FPS gaming lol. I can always drag my FW900 out of the closet to game on, but I also miss the option of playing in 3D like I did on my old Asus VG248Qes...

I am interested in the Rog Swift, but as of right now its vapor ware...so I was considering a BenQ XL2420Z to satiate me in the intern, but I am thinking I should just be patient and wait for the Rog Swift.....But I have this nagging feeling in my gut that the Rog Swifts are not gonna see the market until August / September.

Ahhh what should I do? Anybody else have this 1st world issue where they are not buying anything because they are waiting for the mythical unicorn known as the rog swift???

The longer the Swift delays, the longer my Tempest won't be obsolete :p Can I ask why you sold the Qnix? I'd be hard pressed to settle for a 1080p monitor right now even if it does do 144hz/ lightboost...

I'd check out the z if you can get v2 firmware but I tried one and it was just another tn man. The fg2421 is the only 1080p monitor that would excite you much IMO.

The longer the Swift delays, the longer my Tempest won't be obsolete :p Can I ask why you sold the Qnix? I'd be hard pressed to settle for a 1080p monitor right now even if it does do 144hz/ lightboost...

I was 50/50 on selling the Qnix. I loved its 120hz, I loved its sexy IPSness and I loved its resolution, but I was not a big fan of its motion blur and it had a tendency to fatigue my eyes after only an hour or two of use. Besides, I got one of these to satisfy my IPS cravings :)

I'd check out the z if you can get v2 firmware but I tried one and it was just another tn man. The fg2421 is the only 1080p monitor that would excite you much IMO.

You may remember that I had an FG2421 as you almost bought it from me lol....I really, really liked that display but mine suffered from the random shutoff issue and it did not do 3D. Since it doesn't do 3D, I would get hung up on its 1080p limitations and then I would end up having to do three of em in portrait and that would cost $1,600. Basically, if the Rog Swift does not satisfy me I will end up doing three FG2421s in portrait mode like Vega did and buy an Oculus Facelift for my 3D kicks.

Last edited:
You may remember that I had an FG2421 as you almost bought it from me lol...
Oh... yeah. I remember now. They do seem to have fixed THAT issue... That's weird they went to all this trouble on the FG2421 and then left 3d off. The Duravision model is 3d--it has a DIN connection for the emitter I guess? I've never tried 3d... Don't feed me more expensive hobbies please. You really are a bastard :D

Dude, you've had all the best overclocking monitors... why did you get rid of them all? Was the Qnix the best of the 3 in your opinion? You do all this monitor testing and then keep the knowledge mostly to yourself! :p

Dude, you've had all the best overclocking monitors... why did you get rid of them all? Was the Qnix the best of the 3 in your opinion? You do all this monitor testing and then keep the knowledge mostly to yourself! :p

Yeah, really. Got to start putting out the goods for the rest of us mere mortals. ;)

Hehehehe, yea second to Vega I am quite the monitor slut :D

Everyone is gonna have their own personal preference of what they like the best, because there is no perfect display that covers all the bases "yet." Ironically, as much as I detest TN panels, I would have to say my favorite display (besides the FW900 CRT) would be the Samsung S27A750D. My favorite configuration hands down was three debezzeled S27A750Ds, because you could run them in landscape for flight & racing sims and then put them in portrait when you wanted higher resolution and more detail for quick FPS gaming. I sold mine before the strobelight hack became known which really sucks, so you can add that blur reduction hack as another check in the plus column for them. Also the 3D experience with three of em in landscape was simply climaxtastic! It was literally the closest to the holodeck experience I have ever come. I regret, regret, regret selling my A750s and now that they are discontinued they are pretty much gone for the ages.....:mad:

For work productivity, the 34UM95 is hands down my favorite. This display is easy on the eyes and I can drop brightness down to next to nothing and not have to worry about PWM sickness while I work in the dark.....I like to work in the dark, because I have....habits.

The FG2421 was another one of my favorites and the example that I had was perfect, except for its random shut down bug which could occur a few times during a gaming marathon or never at all....it was totally random, but happened enough to be unacceptable for the $$$ spent. If I end up not liking the Rog Swift ( I am hoping the Swifts TN panel is like the Samsung A750s panel and NOT like the Samsung U28D590 TN panels), I will patiently take my time and try and source three FG2421s to be my dedicated "portrait" gaming display setup....although that would leave me wanting for a 3D solution, but hopefully Facebookhole doesn't fuck the Occulus Rift up too much with their bullshit and I can get my fix from that.....BUT if I do like the Rog Swifts then I will do three of them and relive the happy day landscape/portrait/3D vibes that I once had with the Samsung S27A750s :)

Very interesting. Yes those Samsungs are missed. Especially by the people that never got to mess with them. Why they quit building them like that I do not understand.

Can you tell me l88:
Which Overclock monitor did you like the best? I bet you didn't like the colors that much on them. They really need calibration because they have no LUT inside and no ad-board. After calibration with Dispcal they are very very nice. Before calibration they don't really know what to do with gradients and dark shades.

I get my Catleap 2B tomorrow... looking forward to setting it up.

Here's a really crazy idea: if you don't like the graininess of your monitors coating--take some rain-x or maybe some lighter plastic scratch remover and softly polish the entire coating (do not press down hard or you will end up with crosshatching). It will become glossier. I discovered this while buffing out a deep scratch in a qnix matte. Recently I tried it on my phone screen protector. It was too grainy. This worked well. I'd be too scared to try it on a brand new display though.

Very interesting. Yes those Samsungs are missed. Especially by the people that never got to mess with them. Why they quit building them like that I do not understand.

Can you tell me l88:
Which Overclock monitor did you like the best? I bet you didn't like the colors that much on them. They really need calibration because they have no LUT inside and no ad-board. After calibration with Dispcal they are very very nice. Before calibration they don't really know what to do with gradients and dark shades.

I get my Catleap 2B tomorrow... looking forward to setting it up.

My catleap 2B and overlord Tempest gave me scanlines at 120hz and above, but my Qnix 2710 did not give me any scanlines, even all the way to 130hz the qnix held strong. Also, the qnix seemed easier on my eyes versus the catleap and overlords....The catleap cost me $699 and the overlords cost me $550, but the qnix only cost me $290....so the qnix 2710 evII gets my vote on every count.....lol Im tempted to buy another one...maybe try matte this time as they says mattes AG is minimal

Here's a really crazy idea: if you don't like the graininess of your monitors coating--take some rain-x or maybe some lighter plastic scratch remover and softly polish the entire coating (do not press down hard or you will end up with crosshatching). It will become glossier. I discovered this while buffing out a deep scratch in a qnix matte. Recently I tried it on my phone screen protector. It was too grainy. This worked well. I'd be too scared to try it on a brand new display though.

You are tempting me with temptress ideas in the event that I dont the like the swifts AG...perhaps vega can go into the buffing business when he gets back from his romp in the desert.

EDIT HOLY CRAP, THEY HAVE BEEN ABLE TO MAKE 3D Vision work with the FG2421!!!!! Looks like Im buying another one again!
http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=360

Last edited:
My catleap 2B and overlord Tempest gave me scanlines at 120hz and above, but my Qnix 2710 did not give me any scanlines, even all the way to 130hz the qnix held strong. Also, the qnix seemed easier on my eyes versus the catleap and overlords....The catleap cost me $699 and the overlords cost me $550, but the qnix only cost me $290....so the qnix 2710 evII gets my vote on every count.....lol Im tempted to buy another one...maybe try matte this time as they says mattes AG is minimal

You are tempting me with temptress ideas in the event that I dont the like the swifts AG...perhaps vega can go into the buffing business when he gets back from his romp in the desert.

EDIT HOLY CRAP, THEY HAVE BEEN ABLE TO MAKE 3D Vision work with the FG2421!!!!! Looks like Im buying another one again!

A qnix on either side of the 34UM95 would be sweet...

My catleap 2B and overlord Tempest gave me scanlines at 120hz and above, but my Qnix 2710 did not give me any scanlines, even all the way to 130hz the qnix held strong. Also, the qnix seemed easier on my eyes versus the catleap and overlords....The catleap cost me $699 and the overlords cost me $550, but the qnix only cost me $290....so the qnix 2710 evII gets my vote on every count...

Lots if interesting stuff here. Neither of my qnix can do above 100hz without messing up the colors at top right. Guess I'll see if I can do better somehow.

Would have been surprised if 3d was impossible for the fg2421 because it strobes. I'm gonna end up with another fg probably after I'm done choosing an OC 1440p.

Money not being my main concern here I am a little surprised to see it even mentioned. But even more surprising, are me results are completely opposite. 2 matte qnix that could not do better than 100hz without artifacting and the catleap that showed up does 120hz without straining. Needs more testing and I even get to test green sums perfect pixel policy because it has a stuck bright cluster bottom center super obvious. I immediately filed a claim with eBay. The difference between 100hz and 120hz is enough for me. My eyes can focus on motion on the catleap. The Qnixs are muddier but still kick ass.

Back