• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Should I be at Max CPU usage?

Sigma B

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 5, 2004
Messages
88
I was playing some BF1942 on my new system... (athlon 64 3200+, 9800pro, 1 gig of ram) .... upon exiting i checked out my SiMeter and I was running 98% - 100% cpu usage. I figured that this game, being as old as it is wouldn't stress my system that much...
 
Did you have any other programs running?

Have you scanned your system for spyware/adware/malware/viruses?

Are all your drivers up to date (MB, VID, Sound, etc)?
 
Most games will use 100 percent of the cpu available to them, this isn't really anything to worry about. Q2 does it on my opteron 246 system as does quake 1
 
yeah all drivers are up to date...

i'm runing adaware and McAfee
I dunno - i just thought it might use 50 - 60%
 
It depends on alot on the game and how it was programmed. Alot of FPS games are designed to get as much horesepower behind them so they can pump out as many frames as possible.
 
98-100 is fine for an intense FPS game.

If you're always at 100, then your GPU is limiting you, and the CPU is picking up some of the slack.

If you're always really low (50-60), then you're running at much lower quality than you could.

If you're 98-100, then the CPU and GPU are each doing their respective jobs rather well.
 
i was encoding some mp3's through iTunes at 256VBR and it was a constant 95%....

I dunno, I just want to make sure I'm running up to par
 
Back
Top