Should I Bake?

scojer

[H]F Junkie
I was playing Farcry 4 the other day and noticed on the barrel of my gun that it all of a sudden had a spike come out at an angle and kept going off my screen. Then i noticed the same thing on someones elbow. Then i fire up stalker to see if it was an isolated incident and had similar issues there. I cleaned my video card and same thing still happening. I know its the solder cracking. Should i bake it and prevent it from dying? Is that just prolonging the inevitable? Or should i let it die and try to revive it afterward?

What are your temps like?
What driver are you using?
Have you tried a different driver?
When was the last time you cleaned your video card fan out? Even if you can't see dust, there might be huge dust bunnies where you can't see.
Is the card still under warranty?
Is it only in one game?

Baking is a last resort before it goes in the trash.

Between 45-60c which is normal for my card.
Just update the driver thinking that might help. It didn't. on latest stable release.
Air dust it once a month and just took it apart and cleaned it.
No longer under warranty.
So far two games, haven't tried others, don't want to in case it decides to crap out on me.

I'd troubleshoot some more until you can hit a major card failure. At that point there's nothing lost with tossing in the oven. Another good option is a heat gun. I got a cheap one years ago that I keep in my hockey bag. It works great for reflowing.

If you are overclocking then turn it down some. I was having that issue while playing arkham origins and it never appeared after I dialed it back.

Just wanted to add my $0.02 in saying that I've never had a card die BECAUSE of baking.

So, if you're worried, I don't see it as a risk. It fixed 4 of my cards.

Yeah, modern $200 cards can wipe the floor with a 570.

We are all in different financial positions, I know I couldn't just go out and spend $200+ on a whim, but if you can, you won't regret it.

Wish i could just drop $200, but i can't. It runs everything i play on high to max though. If it gets worse i think i will heat gun or bake it.

take the card out, blow out the cooler. Seeing as its an older card i'd pull the cooler off entirely, repaste it all, and reinstall. If still having issues, nothing wrong with baking it assuming you have a backup card plan...

baked 2 cards myself with good results. Highly suggest pulling the heatsink and redoing it all however.

Aaron_ATX has it right

if you do bake, 390F 10 min, 60% of the time it works every time

To be completely honest, my friend had an Asus 570 that started showing rainbow pixels in-game. I baked his card and now it's fine. I didn't try blowing out the cooler or any rubbish like that. If a card overheats, it will shut down the whole system. Gone are the days of smoke billowing out of a system because of a dead fan. If I see a graphical error, I either replace the card or put it in the oven.

That is illicit behaviour! Illegal substances are not to be discussed here!

Unless you live in Seattle where that shit is TOTALLY LEGIT, if so: hotbox that shit!

That is illicit behaviour! Illegal substances are not to be discussed here!

Unless you live in Seattle where that shit is TOTALLY LEGIT, if so: hotbox that shit!

It's a fermi card. It'll hotbox him :p

To be completely honest, my friend had an Asus 570 that started showing rainbow pixels in-game. I baked his card and now it's fine. I didn't try blowing out the cooler or any rubbish like that. If a card overheats, it will shut down the whole system. Gone are the days of smoke billowing out of a system because of a dead fan. If I see a graphical error, I either replace the card or put it in the oven.

Blowing the dirt out of a heatsink is rubbish? Allllrighty then....

A card that overheats will not just shut down the whole system....agreed that these days failsafes are typically built into most modern hardware that prevent folks from doing too much damage too fast....

Cards with heavy heatsinks become warped over time, vram sinks dry up, factory thermal paste can be poor.... if these issues are caught early enough its a good chance baking will not be needed.

Baking is always a last resort (lol that seems like a bit of an overstatement, ps don't eat lead paintchips kids)

Sure is entertaining tho.

Back