Should I ask for another replacement? (Dell 30")

mutant

Limp Gawd
So I bought a 30" Dell 4-5 months ago. I started having problems with it coming out of sleep mode. I got it exchanged but stressed that I wanted a brand new one and not a used one.The Dell guy said he could not do that so I ended up speaking with the supervisor who said it would be perfect like a new one but if there were any more problems then he would definitely replace with a brand new one. The replacement arrived pronto and looked brand new to me.

Fast forward one month and the replacement has 3-4 dead pixels now plus after warming up it makes a CLACK noise and the top right hand corner of the front panel develops 2-3 mm play if I press with my finger. It's as if the heat makes it expand or something. It sounds worse than it is but still...

Is this ground enough for me to ask for another replacement? I have 5 year warranty on it. Thanks for any advice :confused:

EDIT- So in full black screen I see 3-4 tiny but clear ones. If I look more carefully then there appear to be bunch of very tiny and less obvious/less bright dead pixels in various other parts of the screen...15+. I don't know what the difference between the two sets of dead pixels is?

YES.. all that happening within a month? 4 dead pixels? wow

YES.. all that happening within a month? 4 dead pixels? wow

Yes within a month.

Guess what? I cleaned it to check properly and there are actually more than 4 dead pixels!
Let me count ...

So in full black screen I see 3-4 tiny but clear one. If I look more carefully then there appear to be bunch of very tiny and less obvious/less bright dead pixels in various other parts of the screen...15+. I don't know what the difference between the two sets of dead pixels is?

3 or 4 dead pixels on a monitor that size does not exceed the tolerances many sellers use ( see ISO 13406-2 standard for LCD screen pixel faults below). The other noises do make it sound like monitor is buggered though. In calls to Dell I would stress you have concerns it's a fire hazard. You could send a certified letter stating as much. Certified letters get more notice since they can be easily used as evidence and they get more attention than the umpteemillionth random phone call that slips into the batter of eternity:

Pixel Standard:

http://www.jacobsen.no/anders/blog/...062_standard_for_lcd_screen_pixel_faults.html

Definately. If you aren't happy then you should get it replaced again. You are playing Porcshe Money for a 30" LCD. You should expect Porcshe service.

I would definitely send it back.. call the rep back hopefully you can get the same supervisor but tell them this is your 2nd one and neither have been satisfactory...

remind them how much you paid for the monitor and ask them why you aren't getting what you paid for... Its like if you buy a new car and its already got scratches on it, would you just sit there and let it be?

3 or 4 dead pixels on a monitor that size does not exceed the tolerances many sellers use ( see ISO 13406-2 standard for LCD screen pixel faults below). The other noises do make it sound like monitor is buggered though. In calls to Dell I would stress you have concerns it's a fire hazard. You could send a certified letter stating as much. Certified letters get more notice since they can be easily used as evidence and they get more attention than the umpteemillionth random phone call that slips into the batter of eternity:

Pixel Standard:

http://www.jacobsen.no/anders/blog/...062_standard_for_lcd_screen_pixel_faults.html

Thanks everyone.

abcdelight I edited my original post-

So in full black screen I see 3-4 tiny but clear ones. If I look more carefully then there appear to be bunch of very tiny and less obvious/less bright dead pixels in various other parts of the screen...15+. I don't know what the difference between the two sets of dead pixels is?

Well there are pixels and sub pixels that comprise them. Some pixels can be dead/damaged and other can get stuck "open" or "closed". Some pixels and sub pixels fail in clusters. Hard to say what you have without looking but it doesn't sound good in any event. There are some applications that flash the screen with rapid color changes that try to fix pixels - but it can also cause them (or so I have been informed). Try one if you like (pixel fix apps are around the web - not sure what works best since I dont use them) but it sounds like you should get a divorce from this monitor anyway if you can and you probably can.

Back