Should i add another 7800GT?

pooMonger

n00b
With the advent of Windows Vista and my inability to play Counter-Strike: Source at the nice framerate that i was able to before Vista [with XP], I figured it was time to upgrade some parts in my rig. To be detailed, my framerate dropped from an average of 150 to an average of 40. I have tried multiple drivers, but to no avail. So i started off with the ram and bought 2 more sticks of 512 Corsair. I also got a new case because my Thermaltake Soprana crapped out on me and the front door is broken. Hopefully, the doubling of my ram will help take care of my framerate problem in games. But if it doesn't, should i add another 7800GT to go SLI? I have the power supply for it, but will it be worth it? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130077&ATT=14-130-077&CMP=OTC-Froogle I would probably get that. But having dropped already ~250 for a new case and a gig of ram, I'm getting upgraditis. Perhaps a new mobo? Processor? My rig is in my signature, so what do you guys recommend? Going SLI with two 7800GT's? Or spending another 600 or so and getting a whole new computer altogether. I'm looking for best bang for my buck right now.

Adding another 7800GT will definately help your framerates. I run XFX 7800 GT's SLi and it runs so smooth I get scared...and this is @1680x1050 full AA and AS in most games. Doubling your memory also helps.

That's an advantage of having an SLi capable mobo. To be able to upgrade later and add more performance without spending the loot and a brand new setup. 7800GT SLi (which is about 15% + faster than a single 7900GTX or 1900XTX) and 2GB ram are excellent upgrade choices on a budget.

It allows you to have more performance now without breaking the bank and enjoy that performance while saving up for an even more impressive system later.

thanks for the advice, dark prodigy. I'll go ahead and order that recertified 7800GT from newegg.

Selling the 7800 (~$150) and picking up one of those newer and cheaper 8800 GTS's (~$350) would give you much better peformance than SLIed 7800GT's.

thanks for the advice, dark prodigy. I'll go ahead and order that recertified 7800GT from newegg.

Adding another 7800GT is a bad idea...

Sell your current one, and wait for the 8800GTS 320 which should be out on the 17th... for about 300$.

That will ruin any 7800GT setup, while being a hell of a lot quieter and cooler.

How about making a dual-boot PC and continue playing CS:S on XP? I would wait until nvidia clears up their mess with the vista drivers.

Adding another 7800GT is a bad idea...

Sell your current one, and wait for the 8800GTS 320 which should be out on the 17th... for about 300$.

That will ruin any 7800GT setup, while being a hell of a lot quieter and cooler.

Iinitial reports were that it was going for $300, but I think I saw that some website has it releasing on the 17th for a $350 launch price. Maybe that's just street price.

I'll also chime in on the possibility of sticking with XP for games until drivers start to improve. Of course, my mind is stuck on "no budget for gear" so that's probably just the wife talking. Looking at the benchmarks, you would be better off going with the 8800 over an SLI with 7800GT's.

Back