Should I abandon LGA 775?

Slaughterhouse59

Limp Gawd
Was going to upgrade my mobo in my current PC...but I got really ambitious and have decided to flatout build a new machine.

I purchased this board

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IF6I1I

My processor is an Intel Q9550.

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Process...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1303829734&sr=1-1

Is it worth it to go with this setup in the new build or should I sell them and spend the extra cash to go the i5-i7 route?

I'm going to have at least 16 GB of RAM in this new one so your thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated!!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Absolutely do NOT put any money into LGA775. Either keep your current setup as-is or build a new system entirely.

I would say it depends on what you use your system for, and if its working OK for that right now....
LGA775 is still perfectly fine for a lot of people...you may or may not be one of them depending on your use of the system

if you can afford to come up with the money after selling your 775 stuff id for sure upgrade to 1155 SB..they are awsome rigs and o/clock so easy its unreal....i just completed a rig for a customer with an i5 2500k in the asrock fatality board with a windowed case [he insisted on the motherboard,not my choise] and it is an awsome rig...it leaves 775 in the dust and runs so cool too....
unless your using your current system for internet, email, office etc then your current rig is fine but if you need or want something new that will last you 3 yrs or so then i5, i7 SB is the way to go or wait till june and look at amd bulldozer which looks to give SB some competition...plus when amd does their release it may cause intel to bring prices down a bit....what do you use your 775 setup for.....

I don't use my PC too heavily right now. I'm an IT student that just likes playing with things. I have recently gotten into building VMs so I decided to upgrade the rig. Of course, it's always nice to have the sickest, fastest machine out...but not when the price tag leaves you broke.

What would a Sandy and good motherboard run me?

Less than $350 US for a 2500K and motherboard. But then you need $75 for memory. However you can sell your Q9550 for $150. Probably $45 for your DDR2 RAM (assuming you have 4GB) and $50 to $100 for your lga775 motherboard.

Thanks for the pricing sir. Any recommendations as to which board I should get?

I've got some RAM pending in right now so not worried about that. :)

The MSI P67A series are pretty popular, and are overclocking machines. There are several models so it will depend on your uses:

GD65 - 8 SATA ports, Firewire, eSATA
GD55 - 6 SATA, Firewire, SLI
GD53 - 6 SATA, SLI, no firewire
G45 - 6 SATA, no SLI, with Firewire
G43 - 6 SATA, no SLI, no Firewire.

EDIT: While some support SLI and some don't all of them support crossfire.

There is a comparison chart here: http://www.msi.com/service/product-comparison/mb.html

Also the Asus P67 boards.

EDIT:
Thanks for the pricing sir. Any recommendations as to which board I should get?

I've got some RAM pending in right now so not worried about that. :)

Any DDR3 1333 RAM would be fine. The G Skill Ripjaws are popular, but anything will suffice that's 1.5v.

Last edited:
s775 is still good. Not sure how good that mb is but the q9550 is solid and most of them over clock well, the E0 stepping ones clock very good.

At this point in time i think you would be fine with S775 and then in about a year get a good deal on newer intel or amd hardware.

i would get a SB setup and a sli/xfire board just incase you might wanna try it out later, and you will be good for 3 years or so.

How much did you sell your Q9550? I am exactly on the same boat as you. I came here to search for a LGA775 motherboard. I didn't come across much here, but they were some. Some were sketchy to sell to me because I am new! I was thinking of getting the EP43 ES3G board. But I wasn't sure if it will over clock well? I did some research, and wanted the EP45 board from asus or gigabyte. I was thinking if I can sell my q9550 and my new RMA motherboard from ECS. But still that motherboard doesn't over clock well.

I would just go Sandy Bridge, motherboard is motherboard be even trade, It will make you feel better that you are buying something that is going to be supported in the few years, instead of the dead 775. And some DDR3 Ram. Long run you will be happy. For me all I need is motherboard, but the processor is far from dead. It actually is pretty quite strong, if I over clock it to around 4.2ghz on air, I assume I can compete with the i7 960 and 2600k at mediocre over clocks. Because Q9550 is one of the latest core 2 quad series, and especially the E0 stepping. So I am also in the perdicment as you. Thanks for your help.

I would've just stuck with what I had if I had been in your shoes, you admittedly don't tax your machine much at this point and could've saved up for the next gen while using what you have now, you will probably be shocked at how much you don't notice any difference between the builds because of what you use the computer for...

Ok let’s just go over a couple things, with the release of the 1st generation Intel Core processors there was about a 10% to 15% improvement over the older generation Intel Core 2 Quads running at the same speed. When we did a die shrink to 32nm there would be a small performance improvement. Then when we released the 2nd generation Intel Core processors (like the Intel Core I5 2500K) there was an additional improvement of 15% to 20% improvement over the 1st generation processor. So overall there should be some outstanding improvement for you if you upgrade to a board and processor.

Wait to get a Z68 and get an SSD.

If you can wait for z68 then sure but if you don't have any pc at all, then get the cheapest mobo you can and resell it and upgrade to z68 when it comes. The 2500k is a wondrous bargain of a chip. Of course if you start folding you'll wish you plumped that case up for a 2600k lol

Back