• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should be easy - AMD AM2 latching CPU HSF

sabregen

Fully [H]
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
19,501
I just recently made a purchase that has become the bane of my existence. I don't even have it yet, but have spent most of the weekend researching compatible components, and spec'ing out my new build. I have looked and looked...Newegg's HSF section is a damned nightmare to navigate unless you know exactly what you're looking for (my complaint centers around the fact that their socket compatibility matrix choices on the left hand side are ridiculous, probably rarely updated, and inconsistent).

Here's what I could use some help with, and need in a new HSF choice:

* Not a Zalman (I love them, really, I do, but the noise of late has driven me away from them)

* AM2 compatible 3.5" offset between latches (this is normal spec for AM2)

* latch attachment system for AM2 type mounting

* CANNOT use screws to go through the board into a backplate

* something relatively quiet

* PWM functionality based on CPU heat output

* Copper construction, or at least the base...okay mostly copper will suffice

* Would be great if it was rated to tackle Phenom quads, which are much higher wattage than my chips, will give me plenty of OC room (yes...OC 8 cores)

* Under $50...at least under $60 (I'm going to need 2 of them, so cost is a concern)

Thanks for any that can lend a hand. I've been scouring all weekend on a board that would support those chips, where to get what, and looking for deals. I think I need to hand this one off to others that might know better than I. I've had about 10 machines over the last 3 years, and they've all ran Zalmans. It was never a problem before, but I've gotten a little sick of the noise they bring to the table.

Preemptive information dump on the usage:

This board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131141
These CPUs: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1352090
16GB of this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134622
8 of these in RAID-0: http://193.128.183.41/home/v3__product.asp?pid=502&inf=fsp&wg=83
6 of these in RAID-5: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?in...aily_html-_-24sep08_21R-_-BannerST3750330AS-R
Running this: http://www.vmware.com/products/esxi/
 
I'm a little confused here. You plan to use an AM2 heatsink on an AM2 mounting system, on a Socket F board. Where the latches have to attach to a frame, which if I recall correctly, have 4 screws that go into the socket area and are rather large.

Or do you have some sort of plan to get around this?

In any case, try a Arctic Cooling Freezer.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125&Tpk=arctic freezer 64


I'm not sure what you mean by 3.5" spacing between latches but it works on the standard AM2 bracket (I mean, if it works on AM2's bracket, then its gotta be whatever AMD specifies, right?).

How well it'll hold up to 4 cores, I can't say. Since space seems to be an issue, I guess the AF64 will fit fine.

Thermalright's HR01 comes in a K8 version (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109132), but I recall that the clip for the K8 is different from the AM2. Or was it?
 
Back
Top