shortest dvd burner?

ullyeus

Supreme [H]ardness
Happy Friday all, I hope you enjoy your weekend!

What I need from you is advice, I wasn't quite sure where to post this, mods can feel free to move.

While the question is about dvdburners I figured the SFF section would be able to help the most.

I am currently building/modifying a SFF/custom type case. My problem is that nearly every dvd burner that I buy is too long.

So...as shorter is better...

Doe's anyone here know what the shortest dvdburner is? I am taking length here, it keeps smacking the powersupply in this case.

If you dig around, you can find their actual length. Plextor is working fine for me. There are 2 or 3 others.

LG GSA 4167B, with a OCZ modstream (160mm depth) I got about 3/4 inch, and can fit a regular size molex

I just got my X-Qpack today and I mounted my Plextor 716A onto it.

I'm glad to report that I still have about 2.24 inches before it touches the PSU. The molex plug itself is about 1 inch. That gives you more than 1.24 inches to work with.(NOTE: this is even before you actually plug in the molex connector)

Depth of the Plextor 716A is about 6.8 inches.

Depth of the PSU from the back in is about 4.7 inches. I have heard that the X-Qpack has a really long PSU and that a Plextor 716A doesn't fit in w/ the molex connector. Either a) They were wrong about the length of the Plextor DVD burner. or b) Aspire now includes a new PSU that is shorter.

sony/lite-on dvd burners are the shortest out there and are the ones to look for if your going to be using a full-sized psu.

my liberty 500 and benq dw1640 fit without a problem and has room to spare.

You could always go with the vertical molex connectors. Massiveoverkill has some nice pics in a thread on the first page of this forum.

I saw earlier where someone posted a link to a vertical power adapter, which didn't stick out nearly as much as a standard cable from a power supply. However I can't find the post now, and I didn't bookmark the product either.

Are the vertical connectors mentioned above the same thing I am talking about? And is that their proper name? Looking to find some in case I need them for my SFF

Thx

garet jax said:
Are the vertical connectors mentioned above the same thing I am talking about? And is that their proper name? Looking to find some in case I need them for my SFF

I think they are called like right angle or 90 Degree but there are a few online stores that carry them if you use google but they are hard to find.

Back