• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Shortening PS cables

chrisjczar

n00b
Joined
Mar 25, 2011
Messages
4
I'm doing a case mod and the 24pin PS cables are about 6" too long. Are there any issues I need be concerned about if I want to cut them and re-pin them?

not an electrical engineering major by a LONG shot :confused:
 
I have an associates in electrical engineering, and even I would not want to cut, splice, and repin 24 wires. There is a chance that you can mix them up, and even one wire misplaced could mean disaster. +12v on a +3.3V line would mean total destruction, and I would not suggest it to someone who has not had experience with electronics. You would also need a multimeter, and the 24pin ATX pin out to make sure that you dont mix up the wires.
 
It can be done but I don't think 6 inches is enough for me to venture into that. However, if you insist on doing it, be very careful. Wire tagging is of utmost importance. If you don't have the proper tool for crimping the new terminals, don't even bother. A bad crimp will cost you in either fit n finish or power quality. Been there, done that.
 
that or buy a bigger case that allows you to hide the PSU cable under the motherboard.
guarantee you will be a much happier person. This is a haf-922
vZvMc.jpg
 
I used to crimp allot of terminal connections in my career and to do a very good job a high quality crimping tools cost a bit of money not the Radio Shack junk even then it takes a bit of practice. For six inches not worth the time and money, just my opinion.
 
Get a crimper and new pins, and it would be pretty trivial to do what you want to do, although it will take a while. All the wires are colour-coded, so just look up a pinout for the 24-pin ATX connector and use that as a guide when you wire the connector.
 
I did something like this before, however I wanted to increase the length. It was pretty easy, just took a little while.

What you can do is just cut 6'' from each individual wire, best to do it one at a time, and then re-join the wire. Here's a pic if you don't understand what I mean.

1z4it5k.jpg


To re-join the wires after you cut em, it would probably be best to get some wire strippers to expose the bare wires. Slide some heatshrink tubing before joining the cut ends. Then twist the cut ends together and solder them for a good connection. Then slide the heatshrink over the solder joint and use a lighter or something similar to give it some heat so it will shrink and fit snug around the joint to protect it.

This is what I did and I've had no problems.
 
Thanks all for answers.

I'm going to go ahead with the torture... er I mean re-wiring, heat-shrink, and sleeving. In fact I HAVE blown up a video card once and that was all it took for me to become overly cautious. And by the sounds of it the length of the cable isn't going to affect voltage, amperage, impedance, etc...

I have the pins and a new 24 pin connector... only thing I'm short is the crimping tool. Will pliers work?

Ultimately I do have all the time in the world here and I am in NO rush whatsoever to finish this build. Probably won't even buy the main components until Christmas. This is my free-time project :)
 
i would think the crimp tool would be a worthwhile investment vs trying to use pliers


this is a project I wouldn't bother with cause I figure with my luck i'd either get a new case or motherboard and then actually need the 6" back :D
 
Shortening the cables will have an effect on voltages in a positive way, they will be a few millivolts higher. However the connections, and or solder joints are going to have more of an effect on voltage than anything else.

Multimeter, Crimps, and the 24 pin ATX power pin out are important tools to use in this project.
 
Back
Top