Short RPGs

evenfall928

Limp Gawd
Hey y'all,

As the title suggests, I'm looking for some suggestions on shorter RPGs to play through (starting at say the PS1-era or so). I have a ton of games sitting on my shelf, and for now while I'm busy with other life stuffs, I'd like to play through some of the shorter ones (40 hour long games are awesome and all, but when playing sporadically it just takes too damn long).

So what games are there out there that can be finished in around 20-25 hours or so?

Radiata Stories for the PS2 is pretty quick; about 20 hours and it's still nothing short of a fulfilling experience.

Ditto on the Knights of the Old Republic games for the Xbox.

Jade Empire...not only was it made by Bioware but it also doesn't drag on so long you lose interest. Either the Xbox version (works on 360) or pc.

+1 for Fable.

It's a good game and if you go into it not thinking about what it could've been via Project Ego you'll really enjoy it.

Yup, Fable was good. So was KOTOR but you're going to be putting a lot more than 25 hours into it once you start playing... ;)

Another good PS1 classic to try if you haven't played it yet is Chrono Cross. Took me about 31 hours my first time through, but definitely worth it.

Suikoden 1, possibly 2. Good luck finding either, but you asked. :)

Parasite Eve. Although terrible for replays, thanks to unskippable cinematics, it is a pretty quick play, and a rather unique one at that. A personal favorite.

Vandal Hearts. A tac-RPG, but a good one. It leans on the simple side, but I found it more rewarding than say Final Fantasy Tactics. There are no opportunities to level up between story battles, so you may need to replay some maps. Still, it is exceptionally short. My first time through took little more than twenty two hours, and I finished it up in a single marathon sitting.

I have to admit, I am in the same boat as you. RPGs are just too damned long for me. They are certainly awesome, and I used to love those epic adventures, but I can't stay interested anymore. Hence why the above are some of my favorites today.

Depending on your interests check out ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Beyond Good and Evil, and the original Prince of Persia. No, they aren't RPGs, but action adventures like the above really click with me now-a-days. I attribute much of this the fact they are over before I have an opportunity to get sick of playing them.

Another good PS1 classic to try if you haven't played it yet is Chrono Cross. Took me about 31 hours my first time through, but definitely worth it.
On that note, Chrono Trigger of the SNES generation is pretty much the epitome of short awesome RPGs. Can't say I would recommend playing the re-release on the PS1, but I still gotta recommend it. CT is one of my all time favorites for having a distinct lack of bullshit, and generally being a fun and rewarding RPG that I can casually finish over a weekend.

you could check out odin's sphere for ps2.. kind of a weird action side scrolling rpg w/ awesome animation.. I never finished it, but it was interesting. Did get a little repetitive though.

Hey! Haha I actually forgot I had this thread. ^^;; But thank you all so much for the suggestions, keep 'em coming. =)

World of Warcraft - Hahhaa, already played it years ago, eh might come back for a taste of Burning Crusade

KotOR - Beat both of 'em, they were great games ^_^

Fable - Also already beat, though I did start replaying

Jade Empire - Almost finished with

Suikoden - Hehe, already beat, and yes we have all of them =P

Parasite Eve - Beat years ago, though I may take the sequel for a spin (despite some of the horror stories I've heard about it)

Ico, Beyond Good and Evil, Prince of Persia - Also beaten, PoP I'm going into the 2nd and 3rd ones now.

Chrono Trigger - Fwee, I <3 Chrono Trigger. When it all boils down that's the traditional style I really enjoy

Chrono Cross - Man I played that years ago, and never finished it. Thanks, I'll have to go back and go through this now.

Also added Odin's Sphere, Vandal Hearts, and Radiata Stories to the list of things to go through!

>_> And yes, we do own all of these already. ^^;;

Grandia 2 (Dreamcast or PS2), I think took me about 2 weeks to beat, hour or two a day.

I think...

Do you have an xbox360? Mass Effect is an amazing game. The game totally engrosses you into the experience. It takes about 25 hours to complete the main story line, but much longer when doing the side quests. The story branches off dramatically depending on the choices you make. So, you will probably want to play through the game multiple times, but you can also do that later.

If you have a 360, Eternal Sonata is around 25 hours too. I'm not finished but I can tell I am close to the end (Chapters). Good mix of Good, pretty, yet cringe enducing storyline and acting. It really goes up and down about being a good game then making you hate stuff then going back to liking it. Heh.

Yeah, +1 for mass effect. Fucking amazing game. If you like RPGs, it's worth it to borrow/buy a 360 just for this game.

Back