Short Arctic Cooling Silencer 64 Ultra Review

Skrying

2[H]4U
I just recently bought this product off of Newegg, I was going for a silent heatsink, along with a overall quiet system. Here are my impressions of the heatsink and its included accessories.

On first inspection out of the stlyish black box the 64 Ultra looks nice, but rather plan. The fan is indeed unique. At first I was rather cautious with it being held in place by 4 "stems", but the heatsink was very well made and those worries were quickly put out of my mind.

The clipping mechnism is very simple and easy to use. I had no problems and no worries about enough or not enough pressure, it just seemed right. It was easy to put on and remove. Along with the heatsink came a plastic attachement with three prongs on each side for the clips to attach to. these are fairly standard on A64 motherboards, but its nice to have an extra one.

The paste included with the Silencer 64 Ultra was probably its only downfall for me. It works well, I'd say its easily in the same league as other similair costing paste, but this is a real pain to spread evenily. It likes to lump up, so be patient when spreading it.

Silence. This is indeed true. I can barely hear this heatsink when on by itself, and with case fans its not audible at all. Which is very much so what I wanted.

As for temperatures, it holds its own. Here's a comparison between the stock AMD heatsink that came with my A64 2800+ Newcastle and the Silencer 64 Ultra:

AMD Stock Idle: 37C Load: 50C
Silencer 64 Idle: 32C Load: 43C
*Done with a MSI K8T FSR, and A64 2800+ at stock.

For $13 I really dont think there's a better buy out there in the heatsink market right now. Everything stayed very cool, and the real thing for me was that it was a very quiet heatsink. Overall I'm very happy with my purchase and would highly recommend the Arctic Cooling Silencer 64 Ultra to anyone looking for a cheap and quiet solution.

Back