• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Shopping for KVM solution for an extra folding box

dwilson041781

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 10, 2004
Messages
1,761
Id like some suggestions from people who have hands on experience with said product, my budget is $50 if possible, just need it for 2 computers total.
 
I dont have an answer directly for the KVM...I have used some cheap IOGear ones that have worked fine, but I have a suggestion.

If the box is going to be just folding and you will rarely be looking at it, could you try to use RDP or perhaps a VNC app and save yourself some money? Then you could just tuck the box away in a corner, headless, with just a power and ethernet cable (or wireless.)

Obviously this is OS dependant.
 
wondering bout the dlink or any kvm solution how would I get by with using my USB mouse+kb, I have a usb-serial adapter for mouse but not kb.
 
I've got some cheap ass Zonet KVM, but I'm using a serial keyboard and serial adapter on the mouse. Looking on Monoprice.com, they have some that apparently roll over USB, but they look like they take a serial input for the keyboard anyway, but it may not hurt to look deeper than the pretty pictures like I did.
 
I've stopped useing my KVM switch.
As I'm running XP pro on most of my boxen, I just use Windoze Remote Desktop now.
If I cannot get in useing that, then the box gets hard rebooted.
With my Linux boxen, if I cannot see inside my Samba share then again the box get hard rebooted.
Easy .............. :p
Only one KB, mouse, monitor on 10 boxen here.

Luck ............... :D
 
I've got some cheap ass Zonet KVM, but I'm using a serial keyboard and serial adapter on the mouse.

I bought a cheap Zonet KVM years ago. I liked it so much I bought a second one.

Both of my Zonets are 4-port. When looking at the prices on KVMs, make sure you get the sets of cables included with the price. The cables themselves can be expensive.
 
Why not just the linux folding distro that runs off the cd and run it completely headless?
 
Having at least one KVM is nice for tweaking boxes that are being built. After that they get run headless.
 
Hello, fellow folder.
I've been using this http://salestores.com/trendw164.html 4 port KVM switch trouble free for about a year. Nice thing about it 4 cables are included. The only thing I wish is I had purchased an 8 port KVM switch like my DSL router is. :mad: I also have a 4 port manual KVM by "Inland", it's a cheapo rig with no cables included. I wonder if I could use it in series with my Trendnet?
Good luck, I like the KB switching my KVM has (Scroll Lock and the # of the machine), but the "beeping" gets agravating :mad:


 
Back
Top