Shopping for a new keyboard

RaithVZ

n00b
FKBN87MNPEK_iso_th0x0.jpg

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=filco_keyboards,majestouch_87key&pid=fkbn87mnpek
2.jpg

http://www.daskeyboard.com/model-s-ultimate-silent/
pdkb400bn_full_th0x0.jpg

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=pfu_keyboards,hhkbpro2&pid=pdkb400bn

So far in my research I've found these 3 that I like so far.

I'd like to switch to mechanical because I've broken a scissor and membrane already; NKRO is preferable, but 6 would be probably be ok too. So far I've got Blue LEDs in my set up and would like it to stay that way, (Sorry G15). Extra USB/Audio ports aren't necessary and I'm not sure I think an LCD screen is worth it yet, but I'd like to hear any reasons why they'd be valuable. I'm debating the usefulness of macros at the moment; not really into MMOs anymore that would require extensive macroing and I've got a Nostromo that can support macros if I really need to. I'm just looking to see if anyone has any experience with these or could suggest alternatives that I may have overlooked.

have you at least settled on a form factor yet? you've listed all 3, 104 regular/tenkeyless/super compact

some brands will limit you depending on your desired form factor.

If you don't need blank keycaps I highly recommend the Steelseries 6Gv2. I also own a Filco with Cherry MX brown switches, and IMHO the Steelseries is better. I prefer the build quality (like a tank), texture of the keycaps, the keys have less wobble, and I prefer the Cherry MX black switches in the Steelseries (that comes down to personal preference). I was initially concerned about the higher resistance compared to the brown or blue switches, but IMO it is nothing to be concerned about, mainly because the actuation point is only halfway down. You don't need to bottom out the keys to register a keypress, so the linear resistance is not an issue. I make far fewer errors when typing or gaming with the black switches compared to the brown switches.

It is also more affordable than the Filco or Das keyboard. I'm sure the HHKB is great but I cannot speak from personal experience. It is certainly pricier (as all capacitive switch keyboards are) and uses a non-standard layout, so keep that in mind.

http://steelseries.com/us/products/keyboards/steelseries-6gv2

A Blizzcon promotion ended today, 40% off. That brought the price down all the way to $60, an insane price for any mechanical keyboard, let alone one of such high quality. In any case, at $100 it is still a better buy than the Das or Filco. The only reason I would consider those is if you know you need Cherry MX brown or blue switches.

As a Filco owner I can say you won't be disappointed but you probably won't be disappointed with any of the keyboards listed here. I own a Blank Tenkeyless Filco with blues and I love it. I came close to buying a 6Gv2 but the key layout killed it for me. Tiny right shift key, big Enter key, moved \ key, and no windows key on the left (yeah I use my windows key a lot). I would decide what layout and switches you want then make a choice.

If you don't mind the Cherry MX Blue switches (like regular Das or Filco) with their light clicks and feel, I'd highly suggest a Rosewill RK-9000. They're built the same as the Das and Filco, and are made by the same manufacturer (Costar). It's $85 with free shipping from Chief Value (Newegg sister site...even the shipping box has "Newegg" on it). I'm typing on one now, and it's much, much better than any membrane switch. It's also NKRO on PS/2, and 6KRO with USB (hardware limit of USB). Has blue LED lights that are plenty bright. Some dislike the logo, but I don't mind. The metal plate in it is also red, so it shows some between keys.

I have no issues gaming on this thing, and it's great for typing as well. The keyboard also weighs about 3 pounds, and has good rubber footing on the underside, so it doesn't slip around (even the flip up feed have rubber on them).

I ended up buying two; one for work, and one for home. Keep in mind, it doesn't come with a PS/2 adapter, but people usually have them around. Using one gives the full NKRO, and is really nice when gaming, as I don't use the typical layout. The above link for the mechanical keyboard guide is good, but they don't list the Rosewill (very new to market). I went from a 1st gen G15 to this, and am not missing the macro keys, goofy screen, or light up letters...autohotkey FTW.

http://www.chiefvalue.com/product-_-productdetails.cv_-_item--CE00158448010060

Considering my DAS Keyboard has the letters wearing off and all the keys look worn and glossy where my fingers make contact with the keys, I'd recommend something else. While it still feels as good as the day I got it, the quality of the unit really could be better. My next board will no doubt be the Filco. My Deck Ice Legend was fantastic quality, but they don't make them with the Cherry MX Blue switches which is what I like best.

A Blizzcon promotion ended today, 40% off. That brought the price down all the way to $60, an insane price for any mechanical keyboard, let alone one of such high quality. In any case, at $100 it is still a better buy than the Das or Filco. The only reason I would consider those is if you know you need Cherry MX brown or blue switches.

I've been curious to try the Cherry Blacks, and that price point would have made the G6v2 a must-buy for me. Even despite the funky layout.

I've been curious to try the Cherry Blacks, and that price point would have made the G6v2 a must-buy for me. Even despite the funky layout.

I'm not a huge fan of the Cherry Blacks. Though if you are looking for a relatively quiet mechanical keyboard they are probably your best option. I'll take them over membrane based keyboards but that's about it.

I'm not a huge fan of the Cherry Blacks. Though if you are looking for a relatively quiet mechanical keyboard they are probably your best option. I'll take them over membrane based keyboards but that's about it.

I know it man... By the descriptions I've read, I don't really think I'd like them either but I have the Blues in my Das and the Browns in my Filco so I figure I minus whale try the Blacks as well...just to see. I just have a niggling bit of curiosity about them. I don't think I would like the fact that they require more force to depress or the fact that they are linear, but for $60 I'd try `em out as it would be easy to resell the board for that and not take much of a loss (if any).

I just don't want to try them out enough to spend $120 on another Filco. I think someone mentioned that one of the major retail chains carries the SteelSeries boards, and if I ran across one in a store I'd definitely have to check it out risk-free.

I know it man... By the descriptions I've read, I don't really think I'd like them either but I have the Blues in my Das and the Browns in my Filco so I figure I minus whale try the Blacks as well...just to see. I just have a niggling bit of curiosity about them. I don't think I would like the fact that they require more force to depress or the fact that they are linear, but for $60 I'd try `em out as it would be easy to resell the board for that and not take much of a loss (if any).

I just don't want to try them out enough to spend $120 on another Filco. I think someone mentioned that one of the major retail chains carries the SteelSeries boards, and if I ran across one in a store I'd definitely have to check it out risk-free.

Fry's where I live has a Steelseries 7G on display. Nice keyboard. Fuck at $60 I would have picked up a 6Gv2. I'm sad now. :(

I tried teh Steel Series out at Fry's and didn't like it. It wasn't even as nice as my Deck Ice Legend with the Cherry MX Blacks.

I tried teh Steel Series out at Fry's and didn't like it. It wasn't even as nice as my Deck Ice Legend with the Cherry MX Blacks.

Well yeah I like my Filco a lot more than that keyboard, then again, I prefer blue switches.

i have ergo browns currently, i have been trying out blacks/blues in my cherry modded nostromo. Final testing blacks make fingers work too hard, blues too loud, browns=win/win.

Well thanks everyone for your inputs, they are much appreciated!

After a bit more research/soul searching, I think I like the Filco Tenkeyless with Cherry MX Blacks the best; Where to find one is a far more frustrating issue though.

I've also read in some random post that the Otaku key caps are different from the Filco Blank key caps, but they didn't elaborate on how. Is this completely imaginary?

So I think I've narrowed my options down to:
Filco Tenkeyless Cherry Blacks with Blank key caps
or
Filco Tenkeyless 'Otaku' Cherry Browns.

Regarding brown switches over black switches, I also had the same concerns regarding their relatively higher resistance and what I thought was potential for fatigue. That is what led me to buy a Filco with brown switches. Before that I actually tried the 7G at Fry's and thought the resistance when bottoming out the keys was way way too much. The thing is that typing on it when it is actually plugged into a computer is a completely different experience since the actuation point is only halfway down. As a result, resistance isn't an issue since you tend not to bottom out the keys when typing. You just kind of float on top when you're typing (one of the reasons for mechanicals).

So yeah I had already owned a Filco with Cherry browns, but this summer I recieved a 6Gv2 as a gift from a friend at Steelseries (score!).

Had I not gotten the 6Gv2 for free I would have totally missed out and would still be typing on the Filco. I actually kept the Steelseries in the box for a few weeks because I thought no way I would prefer it over the Filco browns. Well, one day I figured what the heck and tried it out for a few days with some actual typing and gaming on it. Now I love it. The Filco sits in the corner now, trying to decide if I'm going to sell it or not.

Switch type is all about personal preference, which is a huge plus that mechanical keyboards have. Some people are going to prefer blues or browns or blacks no matter what. I will outright say that my concerns about black switch resistance without having typed with it on a functioning computer were way overblown. Hitting keys at Fry's and actually typing something out are two different things. I was pleasantly surprised.

I will also say that I much prefer the physical build quality and key texture of the Steelseries over the Filco. The fact that is it $35 cheaper than a fullsize NKRO Filco with black switches kind of puts it over the top for me. If you want a board with blue or brown switches, get a Filco. If you want one with black switches, go Steelseries. The only thing I had to get used to was the "\" key next to the right shift key, and that only took an hour.

Last edited:
Thanks Serpico,

I'll have to think about Steelseries a bit more; Although that's probably the biggest Enter key I've ever seen.

Well thanks everyone for your inputs, they are much appreciated!

After a bit more research/soul searching, I think I like the Filco Tenkeyless with Cherry MX Blacks the best; Where to find one is a far more frustrating issue though.

I've also read in some random post that the Otaku key caps are different from the Filco Blank key caps, but they didn't elaborate on how. Is this completely imaginary?

So I think I've narrowed my options down to:
Filco Tenkeyless Cherry Blacks with Blank key caps
or
Filco Tenkeyless 'Otaku' Cherry Browns.

Details here.

Thanks Serpico,

I'll have to think about Steelseries a bit more; Although that's probably the biggest Enter key I've ever seen.

No problem.

And yeah, it is a slightly weird keyboard layout at first. As I said, the main thing to get used to is having the "\" key moved next to the right shift key. Only took me an hour to get used to but YMMV :)

Back