Shoehorning Enterprise concepts into a Tomato network.

So, the reality of what I'm looking to do is smacking me in the face right now...and it would be a whole lot easier to have a bit of low end hardware pulling fulltime duties rather than relying on a laptop to do it all through virtualization.

That, and VMware and Hyper-V don't play nice on the same hardware, it seems.

So, here's what I have:

Thinkpad P50 i7 6700, 2x 512GB SSD (with room for a 2nd M.2, but I'm holding off), 64GB RAM. It's my VMware system, and I have a nice little VMware setup on it...but, it's on my main laptop. It gets turned off. It gets used as a personal system, and can only be a part time learning tool.

Intel NUC i5 4250, 12GB RAM, 256GB MSATA SSD, 1TB HDD. It's my ESXi server, and runs my personal stuff for testing and home server needs. It doesn't exactly have the headroom to expand beyond the 4-6 VMs I run off it full time.

New Intel NUC i3 6100, 16GB RAM, 480GB SSD, room for M.2. Setting this up as a Server 2016 Hyper-V for the test network.

Netgear R7000 w/ Tomato firmware. I switched to this so I could have bandwidth limitations, captive portal for guest network, etc. It's currently running a Class B for my home network for both WiFi and Ethernet, but has 2 virtual wireless networks on different subnet: a Class C for the guest, and another 2nd class C for the test network.

Zonet 16 port intelligent switch. Supports VLANs...if I can just figure out what to do with them.

What I want to do is the following:
Move much of the virtualization stuff for a full time home test setup from the P50 & 4th gen ESXi based NUC to a Hyper-V based 6th gen NUC. The P50 will still be for things that don't need to be AD-joined, standalone projects, etc. The old NUC will remain as my home network server, and host a couple low use systems I use mostly for the ability to revert to snapshots.

The 6th gen NUC has AC wireless, and since I'm running 2016 I can use it, so it should be able to pull the wireless signal, and I can configure it through 2016 to act as the DHCP server instead of the router for all the Hyper-V machines. It will become a DNS server for test machines "downstream". It'd be nicer to have Ethernet support so I could do some network teaming w/ USB3 GigE NICs if I were to need that functionality in academic purposes.

The R7000 is doing fine on Class B for home WiFi/Ethernet, virtual wireless #1 as a Class B for guest network, and virtual wireless #2 as a different Class B for the test network. But, I want to add Ethernet support to the same network as VW#2. The R7000 has Eth0 plugged into Switch Eth0. I'd like to configure the R7000 to take Eth2 and instead of giving out an IP based on the home network, give out IPs based on the test network. Plug that into Eth2 of the switch.

The switch has VLAN support. I'd like to take ports 2,13-16 and dedicate them to a VLAN for any Ethernet stuff for the test network. For example, I have a 16x2TB SAN device that I'm going to likely just try to get rid of, but I'd The remainder will stay on the home network.

I would like for the Home, Test, and Guest networks to be disconnected from each other, but all able to use the WAN port on the R7000 for internet.

Does anyone see anything wrong with what I'm hoping to do, other than trying to squeeze some more enterprise-centric stuff out of some rather consumer-end equipment? An Aerohive and Fortigate like we use at work is outside of my comfort zone, cost wise.

I have another wireless router, a WRT310N running the last K24 based Tomato. I can use that if necessary. It'd be a lot easier, but I'd have to run wires, and it's an additional piece of hardware that I think can be eliminated if I configure my main hardware properly. Plus, I won't learn anything by just throwing more hardware at it.

do up a network diagram and post it. It will also help you figure it out.

i figured that'd be easiest, but I don't have Visio installed on this computer. I'm pretty sure it's on my Thinkpad

Right now I'm running into other issues: 2016 is not playing nice with the Ethernet of either NUC. I'm still debating on where I want to end up hardware-wise. Both work fine in ESXi, so I've already bumped the 6th gen i3 over to the primary ESXi system with a 512GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD, and the 4th gen i5 w/ 256 MSATA SSD + 2.5" 480GB SSD to be the 2016 Hyper-V test system.

But, I may be better off pulling my stuff out of the 6th gen NUC, redoing my 4th gen as an ESXI system (I needed to upgrade to 6.5 anyway), put my M.2 in the P50, put the 480GB 2.5 in another system. We're getting a couple dozen PowerEdge T310s back at work...I could borrow one of those for this. Or, repurpose one of the Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge laptops I have, put the SSD in it, and use it. I'd just lose out on headroom for Hyper-V since I'm dropping the RAM to 8GB (all the more DDR3 I have).

I'll figure out where I'm going to end up, then make a drawing.

Back