Shocking problem - need your advice

hstearns4

n00b
About a month ago, my wife felt a electrostatic discharge go from her hand to the USB mouse. The MSI 865PE Neo-2 P motherboard failed and I replaced it with a MSI 865PE Neo-2 V motherboard. Now tonight, exact same probem occurs, except it appears to have only fried the USB 2 circuitry in the MB. Is this a common problem? Is there any adapter or hardware I can buy that will reduce the potential for this to happen again.

Now I am looking for yet another new MB. Even though I'm sure that this is just a freak accident I'm leaning away from MSI. My last Gigabyte board lasted three years. This is the second MSI board I'm going to need to replace in as many months. Any suggestions? I am currently running an Intel 2.8ghz processor, 1GB DDR400. Need SATA, IDE, onboard lan and audio and usb 2.0.

As for the electrostatic charge from her to the motherboard. Ive never heard of that shit before. Crazy.

Im gonna say go with Asus, ive had one problem with my first motherboard and i dont think it was it's fault. I had a little slip with the screwdriver as i was putting the dumb stock heatsink which i hit the mb. But i got a replacement i didnt have to pay for but shipping. Im guessing your socket 478. Id say go with this one.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-464&depa=1

You almost never go wrong with Asus. From time to time theres some dead mb's but its very rare. I think they fixed there little problems.

If I was to take a guess I'd say it's the mouse. Is it a cheap generic brand? Could be faulty.

Thanks for the replies. The mouse is an IBM optical scroll mouse. I may go ahead and switch out the mouse just to be safe. This is just wierd, kind of like being hit by lightning twice.

Long shot, but try moving your computer's wall power connection to another set of sockets; maybe you have a faulty ground somewhere?

Back