shocking computer

so i've been locking up computer in sig when I go to plug USB devices into front panel this winter. eventually i put a PSU plugged into the wall next to the computer and i tap it before plugging anything into computer.

then this morning i sat down and reached for my G500 mouse and i felt static through the mouse wheel and the DPI select lights on the mouse no longer turn off when i power the computer down. Also i had to unplug and replug my keyboard's USB to be able to type again.

My surge protector says the wall is grounded.

Is this just something that still can happen to computers nowadays?

Every computer ive ever built has done this. standard metal standoffs with mobo,.

Case and wall ground are at same potential with multimeter..

Every google result I find says there is a grounding issue but i dont think there is

I'm guessing you live somewhere cold and dry like I do. There is nothing (barring running a humidifier in your home) that you can do during the winter but make absolutely certain you discharge into something other than your PC or its peripherals before touching them. Get a wrist-strap for working on your gear too.

that's what i was beginning to think. Thanks for the input. Wisconsin

It really sucks. Especially where I work.

Get out of elevator -> touch door handle with back of hand (*POW) -> open door, walk down hall -> touch key to door lock (*POW) -> walk to desk, touch metal in two places during that 6ft walk -> (*pop, *pip) -> sit down at desk -> touch metal cabinet -> (*pop) -> now I may touch my mouse or keyboard without killing the machine :(

Back