Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.
i'm gonna be shipping out to the air force in july and i'm planning to have my computer shipped to my tech school and i'm really worried about losing files on my HD. Anyone have any good or bad experience shipping HD's over the mail?
I have shipped lots of drives myself via different carriers, USPS included, and I don't really feel that any are particulary worse than another. The key is good packaging. If your drive is packaged well I don't think it will have a problem reaching it's destination with files intact, even with USPS. Of course if you have not backed up files recently then you really should do so, regardless of your shipping situation.
Remove any heavy heatsinks from the computer, mainly processor heat sinks are the ones that could cause issues. It's not worth the risk and the stress of a dropped case chipping your processor, or worse, cracking the motherboard. I've seen it happen to people before. I'd pull the harddrives and take them as carry on personally. I'd also insure the hell out of it, have the carrier pack it too, that way if anything goes wrong it's their fault and you're more likely to collect the insurance on it.
I will second Defakto's comments, and add some of my own.
Definitely take the CPU heatsink off. If you still have retail packaging for your CPU and RAM, I would use them, as you wouldn't want somethign to work loose and gouge out a CPU die/rip out a RAM chip. Retail packages are those elaborate darn near impossible to open platic blisters for a reason.
As for shipping hard drives, you want to immobilize the drive in the box, but have enough padding around it to where a good sized punture of the box won't touch the drive, and to protect the drive should the box get deformed by being jammed in a feed belt, being used on the bottom of a wall, etc. Also, remember ot put it in a static bag, especially if using foam peanuts.