• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Shin-etsu x23-7783d vs G751 : Do the application methods differ?

Do you use a Shin-Etsu TIM on your GPU?

  • Yes

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No

    Votes: 4 66.7%

  • Total voters
    6

jdb2

n00b
Joined
Feb 11, 2008
Messages
24
I have two overheating EVGA GTX 580 Superclocked graphics cards : One card gets up to about 99C in OCCT and the other one at least that high or over and when both are in SLI the primary card gets to around 105C. After talking with EVGA tech support they informed me that the probable cause is that the thermal interface material has degraded. So I've decided to re-apply thermal paste to the GPU cores/dies with the choice of paste being Shin-etsu x23-7783d . I know this is a high viscosity paste and I found a guide for applying the older G751 paste here but I was wondering if that guide still applies to the newer x23-7783d paste as its viscosity is only 200 Pa*s while the G751's viscosity can be as high as 450 Pa*s .

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

jdb2
 
7783 is super thick and very hard to spread. I much prefer the G751, and have had better results with it than the newer stuff.

I used the plastic spreader that came with some other kind of TIM to lay out my 7783, IIRC it has a burn-in time as well.
 
Id just get some mx4 take the hs off clean everything up stick a dot in middle of the gpu and reinstall hs. Have had great results using it on many gpu. Not worth the hassle of a really thick paste.
 
Id just get some mx4 take the hs off clean everything up stick a dot in middle of the gpu and reinstall hs. Have had great results using it on many gpu. Not worth the hassle of a really thick paste.

I believe the dot of thermal paste is the most effective application method.

You want to minimize air trapped in the paste and apply as evenly as possible. The purpose of the paste is to fill the imperfections between the two surfaces and allow for the maximum contact area for thermal transfer.

Less is more in this case. the BB or rice-grain size is usually tossed around to explain amount.

I typically just apply a dot in the middle and carefully install the HS being sure to keep it level so the paste doesn't push one direction. You definitely don't want to use too much and have paste squirting out the sides.
 
Back
Top