• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Shimmering/Texture Aliasing w/7800..

datamage

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 31, 2003
Messages
199
I've been noticing on quite a few games that I'm getting shimmering in the distance and some texture aliasing in places. It's been the most noticeable in GTA: SA. I bring this up cause on my X800 things didn't look this 'messy' for lack of a better word.

I currently have the following settings in the NV CP;

AA: App Controlled
AF: 8x
Image Setting: High Quality
Force Mipmaps: None (I've tried Bi/Trilinear w/no change.)
Conformant Texture Clamp: On
Extension Limit: Off
Trilinear Opt: Off
Anisotropic Mip Opt: Off
Anisotropic Sample Opt: Off
Gamma Correct AA: On
Transparency AA: Multisampling
Negative LOD Bias: Clamp (Have tried Allow and no change it seems)

I'm using the 77.72 drivers and was wondering if this is just the way it is. I have a sample GTA movie I can upload as an example, if need be. (~50mb)

- D.
 
I would check to make sure all of your settings are the same for both cards.
 
Yes, they are. Only thing, the NV Control Panel has quite a few more options than ATI's. For the X800, I just make sure everything is set to High Quality, and have my AA/AF settings set to whatever I want. It's been a while since I kept an Nvidia card, so still tinkering with their CP.

- D.
 
I noticed that with my 6800 GT when I first got it as well (ATi cards don't have nearly as much texture shimmering and the 59XX series didn't have the problem as well), I was hoping that they would have finally fixed the texture filtering back to 59XX levels but I guess they didn't. The negative LOD bias on clamp helps for some games but it is really just a workaround and doesn't work for everything. You would have figured with all the power of the 7800 they would implement the best texture filtering possible (heck I asked myself that last year).
 
Ah, thanks for the info Particleman. It's not so bad, but a little distracting since I'm not used to it. It's more noticeable in certain games.

- D.
 
Those are the texture optimizations coming into effect. Both brands have it, I think its most noticable in CS:S for me.
 
ATi cards have always had better IQ so this doesn't surprise me at all. I don't expect the 7800 GTX I'm receiving tomorrow to look better than the X800XT PE I have visually but hopefully on par or close.
 
MFZ said:
ATi cards have always had better IQ so this doesn't surprise me at all. I don't expect the 7800 GTX I'm receiving tomorrow to look better than the X800XT PE I have visually but hopefully on par or close.
May I ask why are you getting a GTX and not waiting for the R520?
 
This is the exact reason I didn't want to get an nVidia card, damn texture shimmering and moire.

Play some CS: Source on cs_office and check for moire on the floor while facing down on about a 20 degree angle, pisses me off so badly.

This Video is low quality but makes the moire stand out more for people who don't know what it is.
 
You think a 7800 will be "on par" with a X800xtpe? WTF are you smoking???
 
lee63 said:
May I ask why are you getting a GTX and not waiting for the R520?
That's a stupid as question. Let me guess, "The R520 is l33t!!" Yeah right, do you have the stupid card?? No, didn't think so. Don't question people and push your ideals on them. When the stupid R520 comes out, if it's faster than my GTX, then I'll sell my GTX and get the 520. Until then SOME of us what the cutting edge, and work hard to make sure we have it.

BTW, I can run any game 2 to 3 time faster than you. :p
 
azzkikur said:
That's a stupid as question. Let me guess, "The R520 is l33t!!" Yeah right, do you have the stupid card?? No, didn't think so. Don't question people and push your ideals on them. When the stupid R520 comes out, if it's faster than my GTX, then I'll sell my GTX and get the 520. Until then SOME of us what the cutting edge, and work hard to make sure we have it.

BTW, I can run any game 2 to 3 time faster than you. :p

You realize that guy has a 7800GTX too.
 
This is the exact reason I didn't want to get an nVidia card, damn texture shimmering and moire.

Play some CS: Source on cs_office and check for moire on the floor while facing down on about a 20 degree angle, pisses me off so badly.

I just tested cs_office on my 7800. The effect is nowhere near as bad as that video. Supposedly it's been improved over the 6xxx series. There's still some shimmering effect, but you have to be looking for it to notice it.

I don't want to turn this into a ati vs nv IQ thread. I was just curious if there was some driver setting that I don't have set properly. While I see some extra shimmering in games (that I didn't see in my x800) it's not so bad, the worst offender is GTA: SA. Things are crawling all over the place there.. Maybe it's just an issue with that game.

- D.
 
lee63 said:
May I ask why are you getting a GTX and not waiting for the R520?


me next me next!


may I ask why you asked such a stupid question with the r520 up ur @$$!!! hehe
 
aZn_plyR said:
me next me next!


may I ask why you asked such a stupid question with the r520 up ur @$$!!! hehe

Maybe you also missed his sig, he has a 7800GTX, I dont think he's some fan boy.
 
azzkikur said:
That's a stupid as question. Let me guess, "The R520 is l33t!!" Yeah right, do you have the stupid card?? No, didn't think so. Don't question people and push your ideals on them. When the stupid R520 comes out, if it's faster than my GTX, then I'll sell my GTX and get the 520. Until then SOME of us what the cutting edge, and work hard to make sure we have it.

BTW, I can run any game 2 to 3 time faster than you. :p
Read my sig genius
 
Back
Top