Shenmue 3 PC Requirements Released, Needs 100GB of Space

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Yu Suzuki has announced the PC system requirements for the upcoming Shenmue 3 on their Kickstarter page. While the requirements are nothing over the top, there is 1 outlier. Ys Net is stating that the game will quire 100GB of free drive space. Outside of that a Windows 7+ 64-bit OS is required, along with an i5-4660, 4GB of RAM, and a GTX 650 Ti. I have a feeling that this game won't be making its way onto many SSDs.

Game is currently in development so system requirements may change without notice. We thank you for your understanding. 

*shrug*

Xa6Pdcn.jpg

Looking at NewEgg, a 480GB-525GB 2.5" SSD will run you $80-$120. A 960GB-1.2TB 2.5" SSD will run you $180-$250. Of course m.2 drives will be a bit higher.

Still.... 100GB is going to take around 12 hours to download on my 20Mbps connection per Download Time Calculator. Of course 100GB of disk space doesn't always mean 100GB of game engine and actual game content.

With all these huge ass games these days, they should start implementing cross drive installs. Put the most accessed files on the ssd and the less common stuff on a platter.
Or just make bigger SSDs. That's an idea. Also, who uses their SSD to put their games on? I just use my SSD for the OS and stuff, and the games go to a HDD.

Or just make bigger SSDs. That's an idea. Also, who uses their SSD to put their games on? I just use my SSD for the OS and stuff, and the games go to a HDD.
yeah... I use nvme for OS and ssd for games... the only HDD I've got are in my NAS for backup.

I know how hard it is for young people, and I want to help. Are you [H]ard?

How about a fresca. ;)

I used to do this, but ssd prices have dropped substantially. Now everything is on ssd.

Looking at NewEgg, a 480GB-525GB 2.5" SSD will run you $80-$120. A 960GB-1.2TB 2.5" SSD will run you $180-$250. Of course m.2 drives will be a bit higher.

Still.... 100GB is going to take around 12 hours to download on my 20Mbps connection per Download Time Calculator. Of course 100GB of disk space doesn't always mean 100GB of game engine and actual game content.

It can still download overnight, no big deal. Heck, these days, playing AAA games on day 1 is a bad idea anyway.

The problem is your datacap, IMO. Maybe you mess up and need to clean install it, or you have updates, online content... Before you know it, one game ate through 150GB+ of your datacap, which is a huge chunk. That's more than streaming several seasons of (1080p) Netflix.

They do make bigger SSDs. You can get M.2 SSDs up to 2TB, 2.5" SATA SSDs up to 4TB, and 2.5" SAS SSDs up to 15.4TB. People just don't often buy them for desktop systems because they cost a lot.

That aside people put their games, and other apps, on an SSD for load speeds. Putting just your OS on an SSD seems a bit silly as waiting for the computer to boot is something most people don't spend a lot of time on. However waiting for things to load is where the time usually get spent and SSDs help a lot.

They do make bigger SSDs. You can get M.2 SSDs up to 2TB, 2.5" SATA SSDs up to 4TB, and 2.5" SAS SSDs up to 15.4TB. People just don't often buy them for desktop systems because they cost a lot.

That aside people put their games, and other apps, on an SSD for load speeds. Putting just your OS on an SSD seems a bit silly as waiting for the computer to boot is something most people don't spend a lot of time on. However waiting for things to load is where the time usually get spent and SSDs help a lot.

When's the last time you tried to use Windows booted from an HDD?

It feels soooooo slugish and unresponsive, even when I run stuff off a USB SSD. Granted, these systems didn't have a lot of RAM, so they can't take advantage of Windows prefetch either, but their CPUs were just fine.

When's the last time you tried to use Windows booted from an HDD?

It feels soooooo slugish and unresponsive, even when I run stuff off a USB SSD. Granted, these systems didn't have a lot of RAM, so they can't take advantage of Windows prefetch either, but their CPUs were just fine.
For me it was last week, got a laptop that had nice specs but a 4200rpm 1tb drive. Took two minutes from boot to the desktop, windows updates took hours. Popped the 256gb nvme drive I bought at the same time in there, and it goes from boot to desktop in 7 seconds. I wanted to test it out just to see how much of a difference it made, and holy hell it is amazing.

I kind of want to pop an ssd on my old opteron 165 system w/ agp 6800gt just to see how fast I can get xp running, lol.

With all these huge ass games these days, they should start implementing cross drive installs. Put the most accessed files on the ssd and the less common stuff on a platter.
I totally agree. I would like games to give me a few install options where I get to choose what drives and how large or small the split would be.
Not sure why they don't do this already.

I totally agree. I would like games to give me a few install options where I get to choose what drives and how large or small the split would be.
Not sure why they don't do this already.

You can do it manually by setting up symbolic links to certain game directories.

I don't see the point though. Just install games to your HDD if you want to keep em downloaded, and drag them to the folder on your SSD when you start playing.

Elder Scrolls Online is 67.6 GB, so 100 GB isn't too outlandish, depending on what's actually in this game. And it might just be that much is needed to install it, but once installed it takes up less space. Because of extracting compressed archive files before the archives get deleted. It would definitely have to be one of my favorite games of all time for me to keep it on my SSD though.

Intel just announced a terabyte size M.2 SSD for 499. I would think everyone who has invested in a large SSD uses it for game files. You load the OS once, access game files plenty.

and to think, Xfinity has a 1TB cap on data per month ...

This definitely made me think about that, 5-6 games this size with some some streaming and you're there.

But hey, they recently upgraded me to 500 Mbps so at least I can hit that cap in a timely matter.

Intel just announced a terabyte size M.2 SSD for 499. I would think everyone who has invested in a large SSD uses it for game files. You load the OS once, access game files plenty.
This one can be had for less than $140USD:
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-512GB-...pID=41UZH6HcW9L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Pretty amazing how high capacities have gotten and how low the prices have become.
I remember in mid-2010, a low-end 64GB SSD was around $225USD or more, and I remember being excited how cheap they had become back then.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It can still download overnight, no big deal. Heck, these days, playing AAA games on day 1 is a bad idea anyway.

The problem is your datacap, IMO. Maybe you mess up and need to clean install it, or you have updates, online content... Before you know it, one game ate through 150GB+ of your datacap, which is a huge chunk. That's more than streaming several seasons of (1080p) Netflix.

This is why, as soon as a game download completes on my end, I immediately turn around and make a backup copy to my FreeNAS server. It's quicker to restore a backup locally rather than through the net.

Have you checked the prices lately for a 500 GB SSD. In checking NewEgg, the current price for a Samsung 860 EVO 500GB is $113, while the 1TB version $238. My own desktop has both a 1TB SSD main drive and a 256GB SSD "scratch drive". I have a 6yo personal laptop that has both a SSD and a Hard Drive. And, I've replaced the hard drives on my mother's laptop and a computer hooked up to a television with SSDs.

Of course, this works because I have a central file repository running FreeNAS and all of the computer backups are automated. Even that server has a 128GB m.2 boot drive, but, believe it or not, it was not for faster boots. I wanted to use all eight SATA ports on the motherboard for hard drive storage.

I would think everyone who has invested in a large SSD uses it for game files. You load the OS once, access game files plenty.

Almost. The actual game files are on the SSD drive, but I'm starting to use Symbolic links on the Documents folder to point to the saved_games share of my FreeNAS server for my saved games. The steps to follow are:

1. Exit the game.
2. Move the folder from the Documents folder (or whereever the save data is) to the share which contains your saved games. That folder should have read/write privs.
3. Open a command prompt with admin privs.
4. In the original folder, type the following:
mklink /d "gamefoldername" "\\vaultron\saved_games\gamefoldername"
6. Test in the game.

You can blame The Witcher: Enhanced Edition and it's 13MB save files for causing me to do this. Why don't I just move the whole entire Documents folder? Blame 3DMark and their Java-based menu system which does NOT like network locations, thus causing the benchmarks to fail.

Do it yourself. Most games put their large data files in a data directory.

In Linux;
Move data directory or file to new location.
Symbolic link data.
ln -s /game/gamedata /mnt/drive/gamedata

In windows... never tried it but should work. (with actual game data files)
Move c:\games\gamename\data directory or file to new location.

(use the /d switch if its a directory... leave it out if your linking a data file)
mklink /d c:\games\gamename\data d:\pathtogamedata

In windows I have no idea where any other config files would be if there are any I guess it would depend on the game. In linux if there is any .conf files they tend to always be in /home/.confg/game if the software company is following proper FSH, but sometimes you just find them in /home/.gamename. Either way easy to find if required.

PS for the love of all that is good if your a windows user... if this seems silly at least if you didn't already know mklink is a simple windows symbolic link maker... use it to link your storage devices, backup drives ect. It always drives me crazy that windows users have 1001 different directories scattered all over their systems for things. Symbolic link your extra doc storage ect to your main doc folder. Make your lives easier.

Last edited:
Almost. The actual game files are on the SSD drive, but I'm starting to use Symbolic links on the Documents folder to point to the saved_games share of my FreeNAS server for my saved games. The steps to follow are:

1. Exit the game.
2. Move the folder from the Documents folder (or whereever the save data is) to the share which contains your saved games. That folder should have read/write privs.
3. Open a command prompt with admin privs.
4. In the original folder, type the following:
mklink /d "gamefoldername" "\\vaultron\saved_games\gamefoldername"
6. Test in the game.

You can blame The Witcher: Enhanced Edition and it's 13MB save files for causing me to do this. Why don't I just move the whole entire Documents folder? Blame 3DMark and their Java-based menu system which does NOT like network locations, thus causing the benchmarks to fail.

Just noticed this after I posted. Yes Symbolic links... every windows user that considers themselves a power user should at the very least know how to set these up for their friends.

No, you do it for me :wacky:

I explained how to do what you asked about.

Sure I guess you could argue that it would be nice for the developer to pick what files aren't important and give you the option to store data elsewhere. (a few games have actually done that... giving you the option to install data files elsewhere, although its not a popular option)

Still knowing how to do it yourself is useful. I have for instance on my wives slow ass laptop done something like this...

mklink / d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online\Live\prepatch" g:\stoprepatch

Cause that game has a tendency to download massive expansion patches weeks early and store the files, bloating her little hard drive. Worked without issue. Game saves all the prepatch stuff on her external drive. Never tried it and her game would likely run like crap... but I guess I could link the directory with the 10gb of pigg data files and it would likely work fine.

Last edited:
Fair enough, amazon has one click purchasing... and storage is cheap. To each their own. lol :)
But millenials don't buy anthing unless it's frivolous and purely to serve a short lived fad.

Ask me about my recent MOAB purchase.

Shit posting aside, I'll look into what you're talking about next time it's actually an issue. Just figured it'd be a neat addition to add because I'm sure theres a lot of people who have ssd/hdd hybrid systems who don't want to upgrade for a game or two (eg my laptop has two drives, one 120gb ssd one 1tb hdd).

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: ChadD
like this
I’ve had a 1tb SSD as my primary drive for a while. This won’t bother me. Still have 400gb’s free. The rest is mostly crap or games I can move to my 30tb pool.

I'm actually surprised how slowly game storage requirements have risen the past few years. While 100gb is a lot relative to other games, I believe storage prices have been dropping significantly faster than the gaming requirements have been rising.

Good shock number I suppose, but in reality no big deal.

Depends on the game. If it's one you play frequently the SSD is going to save you time over the long haul just from load times.

Back