Shell replacements like Aston any good? Your thoughts/experiences?

I tried DesktopX, and it just seemed like a waste of system resources, for only changing the appearance of XP. Fonts didn't always look that great...pop up boxes weren't always readable. In the end, it just wasn't worth adding anything on to the shell like that.

i used to use litestep almost 4 years ago.. with win98.. it worked well.. i don't know if they are still around or now..

i used blackbox for windows for a year. It was good but they havent updated it in a while and there are some problems i ran into. It was nice though.

I tried aston a while back and I hated it. It just felt like the only reason they made it look and feel different was to make it look and feel different, and not necessarily to make a better shell. It just seemed way overblown and very inefficient for what it was. I certainly wouldn't ever spend any money on it. Litestep is pretty decent. Check out http://www.shellfront.org for lots of great information. Though nothing beats kde 3.4.1 with translucency and shading. :D

Back