• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Shelf system as computer speakers

doodada

n00b
Joined
Dec 12, 2008
Messages
55
Anybody here use self systems such as AIWA as computer speakers? If so, how are they? I was looking around on craigslist and found many of them for less than $50. I will probably be connecting it from the aux to the computer's sound card.
 
It's all going to depend on the quality of the shelf system, both the speakers and amplifier. In my experience, having used a couple different shelf systems as PC speakers in the past, I find them better than low end computer speakers, probably due to bigger woofers, and more powerful amplifiers, but not as good as better computer speakers or low-end active monitors.

If you decide to check any of them out in person, take a CD you know with you. If it sounds good, then your computer will sound good as well.
 
IMO, Aiwa sounds like crap. Look for vintage Polk Audio Monitor series. The RTi A series aren't TOO bad either. The LSi series is even better.

Usher Audio, HSU bookshelves, AV123 if you don't mind rolling the dice, Quad, etc... these are all nice, relatively budget speakers.
 
IMO, Aiwa sounds like crap. Look for vintage Polk Audio Monitor series. The RTi A series aren't TOO bad either. The LSi series is even better.

Usher Audio, HSU bookshelves, AV123 if you don't mind rolling the dice, Quad, etc... these are all nice, relatively budget speakers.

Unfortunately I can't find those on my local craigslist. And also, I think I would need a recevier for those in which I do not have. Some of the shelf systems I am looking at cost only about $35.
 
My dad still uses some Aiwa bookshelf speakers, and I think they sound pretty decent. For under $50 I'd definately get it, but only if you test it first.
 
IMO, Aiwa sounds like crap.
I've heard three or four of the aiwa shelf systems, one of them even had a heavy amp, but they all sounded pretty bad imho.

OP, though inexpensive that $35 would be better off tucked away somewhere till you have more cash for a better setup.

If you find some speaker deals, but are unsure of their quality, post the model #'s here and we'll dissect them for you.

There are plenty of low-cost, decent quality amps to power them with.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Aiwa is known for their cassette decks, not stereos. Aiwa is just cheap Sony now anyway.

For $50 unless you have a receiver already you wont get great speakers. I found myself a set of Polk RT25 on Ebay for $30 or so and they sound pretty good. I also have Polk Monitor 7 but that is way too big to bring to college.
 
Oh nice. Polk Monitor 7 are a sexy pair of speakers that can be gotten for cheap.
 
I've heard three or four of the aiwa shelf systems, one of them even had a heavy amp, but they all sounded pretty bad imho.

OP, though inexpensive that $35 would be better off tucked away somewhere till you have more cash for a better setup.

If you find some speaker deals, but are unsure of their quality, post the model #'s here and we'll dissect them for you.

There are plenty of low-cost, decent quality amps to power them with.

How is that amp used? Am I suppose to plug it in a computer or something? Sorry, I dont know much about audio.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
How is that amp used? Am I suppose to plug it in a computer or something? Sorry, I dont know much about audio.
The one end of the included cable plugs into your soundcard, and the other ends plug into the amp (the red and white connectors).

That amp would need a powersupply though, such as this $5 12volt powersupply and a $1 power cable.

There's plenty of other good amps to choose from, but the one i posted is a simple, low cost, clean sounding option. Great for nearfield desktop usage, and with sensitive speakers the sound can fill the room as well.
 
bookshelf/boomboxes as PC speakers can work out, it just (as has been said) depends on quality

theres plenty of old (and new) japanese bookshelf systems that sound great, some of which are probably far out of your budget, some of which are likely just hard to find, as far as the Aiwa setups go, if they sound alright to you, for $35, it would probably work out, although better quality does exist

you'd probably be better off saving that $35, getting up to ~$100, and going for a proper receiver and speakers (again, used/etc), as you'll have more flexibility and probably get better quality out of it
 
I've heard three or four of the aiwa shelf systems, one of them even had a heavy amp, but they all sounded pretty bad imho.

OP, though inexpensive that $35 would be better off tucked away somewhere till you have more cash for a better setup.

If you find some speaker deals, but are unsure of their quality, post the model #'s here and we'll dissect them for you.

There are plenty of low-cost, decent quality amps to power them with.

How does this amp compare to the one you posted above? This one is inside a neatly case.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top