Shaw cable warp service

ytry2bsafe

n00b
Just thought I would post the speeds I have been getting form the updated warp service here in Spruce Grove. There has been alot of miss information regarding the availability and speed of the service here in town. There were also questions about the DOSCSIS 3.0 modem shaw is using (Motorola SURFboard SB6180) .

Well I upgraded from X-extreme service on Mar 22, My average connection speed was between 10 to 15 mbps down and 900 kbps up. Since the upgrade I have been getting the following

The promised connection speed is up to 50 mbps. Now the only problem is the 175 GB cap. :mad:

Hope this helps anyone thinking of getting the service.

Just thought I would post the speeds I have been getting form the updated warp service here in Spruce Grove. There has been alot of miss information regarding the availability and speed of the service here in town. There were also questions about the DOSCSIS 3.0 modem shaw is using (Motorola SURFboard SB6180) .

Well I upgraded from X-extreme service on Mar 22, My average connection speed was between 10 to 15 mbps down and 900 kbps up. Since the upgrade I have been getting the following

The promised connection speed is up to 50 mbps. Now the only problem is the 175 GB cap. :mad:

Hope this helps anyone thinking of getting the service.

Ive never really had any issues with my cap, there was a notice on their site that they are going after people who are using well over the 175 cap, however people who go over it here and there arn't bothered.

I'm on shaw, and love it..

Vancouver Island.

I have yet to meet or exceed the cap, however I just signed up for netflix. My concern is when you combine some moderate gaming 5 hours per week and regular internet use along with movies this seems like something that could become an issue for me in the near future. I guess I will have to adjust my use accordingly or pay up.

I have yet to meet or exceed the cap, however I just signed up for netflix. My concern is when you combine some moderate gaming 5 hours per week and regular internet use along with movies this seems like something that could become an issue for me in the near future. I guess I will have to adjust my use accordingly or pay up.

Does your router / firewall monitor your bandwidth used ?

Mine does, and i use my netflix 4 - 5 hours a day, mind you it's not the hd stuff because i'm using my wii, but soon will have a Appletv.

I have 4 laptops 2 voip phones blackberry wii tv and lots more running on my shaw and never go over so, don't worry to much.

j'

Does your router / firewall monitor your bandwidth used ?

Mine does, and i use my netflix 4 - 5 hours a day, mind you it's not the hd stuff because i'm using my wii, but soon will have a Appletv.

I have 4 laptops 2 voip phones blackberry wii tv and lots more running on my shaw and never go over so, don't worry to much.

j'

My current setup consists of a Time Capsule Router , 2 game consoles and a PC (ethernet), 2 laptops and 2 android phones wifi. I am looking into some kind of bandwidth monitor but to get an accurate number I would think a hardware solution would be the only option.

Is there a piece of hardware other than a new router that I could use? I am really impressed with my time capsule and don't want to replace it if possible. However I know there are more robust solutions for routers out there than time capsule. I guess I could make the time capsule a bridge.

It appears from your comment that you use significantly more bandwidth ( i know not the write term) than I. So maybe I am getting ahead of myself, I was making predictions regarding bandwidth on the assumption that the average movie would be 4 to 6 GB.

My current setup consists of a Time Capsule Router , 2 game consoles and a PC (ethernet), 2 laptops and 2 android phones wifi. I am looking into some kind of bandwidth monitor but to get an accurate number I would think a hardware solution would be the only option.

Is there a piece of hardware other than a new router that I could use? I am really impressed with my time capsule and don't want to replace it if possible. However I know there are more robust solutions for routers out there than time capsule. I guess I could make the time capsule a bridge.

It appears from your comment that you use significantly more bandwidth ( i know not the write term) than I. So maybe I am getting ahead of myself, I was making predictions regarding bandwidth on the assumption that the average movie would be 4 to 6 GB.

Untangle and pfsense both do it, but you need to build a unit to throw in front of your apple router.

You can now goto shaw website and monitor your internet usage and see how you have been doing over last year or so. That should give you an idea. I am on extremem debating getting warp and I am pretty heavy netflix user. My max usage has been about 40G , X trememe has cap at 100G and I ve never come close to that. My son watches Thomas movies there regularly and we have Youtube on TV.

I am in lower mainland and I am going to pickup the modem for Warp probably today or tommorow

Back