sharpness question for TEXT

dopple

Gawd
which is a sharper screen for text TN IPS VA without any extra sharpness applied

for text I would go with semi-glossy IPS, preferably 8bit to avoid dithering noise
TN is no go because of vieving angles
VA like TN have bad viewing angles and one eye see different color than the other which confuse and strain brain

[offtopic]
you do not need that much sharpness to recognize letters
instead of seeing details through eyes you should visualize them using hints which eyes give you
if you learn to use sight in this way then everything will be sharp. EVERYTHING, no ugly sharpen filters needed anymore and you will be walking around in constant wonder how f**king awesome sight you have

I tested it. It works. It is possible to improve eyesight and reduce eyestrain to almost zero ^_^
[/offtopic]

If the sharpness filter is turned off, all three panel technologies will have equally sharp text, assuming size and resolution are the same. If a sharpness filter is used (why would you do such a thing?) then it will be entirely down to the filter.

i thought TN were the sharpest even though they are 6bit+FRC

Sharpness is dictated by PPI and sub-pixels. However, generally all computer monitors use RGB sub-pixels, so the only real world sharpness factor is PPI; different panel types will not yield different results in this area.

Sharpness can be marred by coating type, though.

Sharpness is dictated by PPI and sub-pixels. However, generally all computer monitors use RGB sub-pixels, so the only real world sharpness factor is PPI; different panel types will not yield different results in this area.

Sharpness can be marred by coating type, though.

you have a point. but even ppi matters to an extent lets say its at 96ppi. and screen is glossy. now how much will other factors affect sharpness? such as panel tech? i think IPS has fatter pixels which align differently thats why it gives better viewing angles but worse sharpness unless its high ppi.

you have a point. but even ppi matters to an extent lets say its at 96ppi. and screen is glossy. now how much will other factors affect sharpness? such as panel tech? i think IPS has fatter pixels which align differently thats why it gives better viewing angles but worse sharpness unless its high ppi.

Are you saying your monitor isn't displaying sharp text? Your s2415h should be fine, so if that's what you're asking, I literally don't know.

There is no difference in sharpness among panel technology.

Last edited:
I thought I recalled seeing discussions here about how text was less sharp on S-PVA panels than on IPS or MVA panels, due to what I would call the diagonal structure of S-PVA pixels.

I thought I recalled seeing discussions here about how text was less sharp on S-PVA panels than on IPS or MVA panels, due to what I would call the diagonal structure of S-PVA pixels.

Correct, S-PVA panels used some dual pixel structure in an attempt to eliminate the issue of *VA gamma shift. However, that shouldn't apply to the OP's plight as everything he's likely to purchase will use a conventional RGB stripe. I'm just wondering if his question is related to his own monitor or if it's strictly rhetorical.

There's differences in sub-pixels, like I said; but the actual difference in panel technology will not yield a different result for overall sharpness. For example, most OLED phones utilize a pentile sub-pixel matrix as opposed to RGB, to alleviate the issues of OLED blue-pixel decay; however, a pentile matrix is not nearly as sharp as RGB.

Last edited:
subjectively the sharpness on tn and ips im using is the same but my eyes are giving up way sooner on the ips despite the fact that the ips is pwm free and fully glossy. both being 6bit+frc.

the only thing i can logically put my finger on is how the focus of the eyes is being affected.

Last edited:
This info is good , because my eyes get tired lately ..
g.png

IF your eyes are getting tired, try buying a screen that doesn't use PWM backlighting. Get one of the new flicker free monitors.

4K semi-glossy IPS => perfect text sharpness

Why do you spread misinformation? Or maybe you're just misinformed yourself. IPS isn't inherently "sharper" than, say, VA or TN if you look at them head on. (Because why would you read a primary monitor from a side angle all the time?).

Resolution matters, but that wasn't OP's question.

As other people have stated, coating dictates this to a large extent, as does filters.

IF your eyes are getting tired, try buying a screen that doesn't use PWM backlighting. Get one of the new flicker free monitors.

its more than just pwm. the eyes have to get an easy focus lock on the screen too. but i dont know what really affects that or how eyes lock on. so far TN offers the easiest lock for the eyes in my experience. But why? that question is up for debate.

If you have a glass monitor the distance between the glass and the panel matters.

If you have a glass monitor the distance between the glass and the panel matters.

s2440l dell users have seen the internal reflections. you can repositio the monnitor to avoid that unlike pwm or focus issue which will be visible through and through.

Here's an article that has closeups of many types of sub-pixel structures (with way too many pictures to post). There are many different structures for each of the three main panel types.

You should not be adjusting the sharpness settings on most LCD monitors - the default sharpness setting is usually correct and increasing it will only make text look worse. You can check whether your monitor's sharpness is set correctly with the lagom.nl sharpness test. One LCD monitor that shipped with the wrong sharpness setting was the Dell 2209WA, which seemed to need to be increased a notch to pass the lagom test (from 20 to 30 if I remember right? It's been awhile.)

Your OS may or may not be using sub-pixel rendering. Windows 7 and earlier used it, and you will want to run the Cleartype Tuner to get text to look best for you. In Windows 8, 8.1 and 10, Microsoft went somewhere else with Cleartype; I used to think they disabled subpixel font rendering entirely starting with Windows 8 but from reading that thread now I don't think I understand what they did.

How much monitors have you tested to say that TN is better than IPS for text?
maybe your monitor have BGR pixel layout. Dell made few models which have this ridiculous design...

My experience tells entirely different story, TN have bad viewing angle causing to see different colors by both eyes, especially on sites like this which cause false-3d effect. Even on entirely black and white pages it is visible. Most TN also have visible temporal dithering, even compared to 6-bit IPS and it does not help.

Most TN have worse W-LED and/or filters with more blue in blue and generally screwed up gamut. Some IPS use similar backlight but on average typical IPS have better backlight than typical TN.

and like I said you do not need shat much sharpness to read text. How much data is realistically necessary to decode a letter? Even completely blurry shadow mask CRTs are good enough for text, even to work with then for few hours straight, at least as long as you read text, not try to see sharp letters...

Here's an article that has closeups of many types of sub-pixel structures (with way too many pictures to post). There are many different structures for each of the three main panel types.

You should not be adjusting the sharpness settings on most LCD monitors - the default sharpness setting is usually correct and increasing it will only make text look worse. You can check whether your monitor's sharpness is set correctly with the lagom.nl sharpness test. One LCD monitor that shipped with the wrong sharpness setting was the Dell 2209WA, which seemed to need to be increased a notch to pass the lagom test (from 20 to 30 if I remember right? It's been awhile.)

Your OS may or may not be using sub-pixel rendering. Windows 7 and earlier used it, and you will want to run the Cleartype Tuner to get text to look best for you. In Windows 8, 8.1 and 10, Microsoft went somewhere else with Cleartype; I used to think they disabled subpixel font rendering entirely starting with Windows 8 but from reading that thread now I don't think I understand what they did.

adjusting sharpness would help because it would affect eye focus. but i'm wondering there was a thread here discussing the binocular focus of the the eyes more in depth maybe by mark rejhon? that had some valuable info in it as well. i cant find it now.

yea i read a thread where someone suffered headaches after upgrading to windows 8. im on windows 7 with cleartype disabled.

Last edited:
. Most TN also have visible temporal dithering, even compared to 6-bit IPS and it does not help.

on average typical IPS have better backlight than typical TN.

what you are saying could be true but you need to support this with some examples for what you are saying here.

Even completely blurry shadow mask CRTs are good enough for text, even to work with then for few hours straight, at least as long as you read text, not try to see sharp letters...

i spend most of my time on my computer looking at text, and actually i have to say that antialiased text looks more legible on my crt than on my lcd. i guess the softness smooths out the text in a way that's not possible with square pixels

Use PDC or glossy for text sharpness!

Comparing semi-gloss and PDC at the same PPI, to moderate AG with lower PPI:
The semi-gloss was much closer to the lower PPI AG in text clarity, than it was to the PDC.

Last edited:
Use PDC or glossy for text sharpness!

Comparing semi-gloss and PDC at the same PPI, to moderate AG with lower PPI:
The semi-gloss was much closer to the lower PPI AG in text clarity, than it was to the PDC.

glossy is good. this is good advise.

i spend most of my time on my computer looking at text, and actually i have to say that antialiased text looks more legible on my crt than on my lcd. i guess the softness smooths out the text in a way that's not possible with square pixels

that will work but we have to work with lcds now. and on lcds aliased text works better.

None of the suggestions in this thread seem to align with your issues, however. I recommend returning your Dell and perhaps trying a different monitor with matte coating; maybe you're bothered by a glossy monitor? Quite frankly, everyone is different and there are a ton of factors that could be potentially bothering you, or it could be all in your head. Either way, try the former, and if that doesn't work out, then perhaps go see an ophthalmologist.

None of the suggestions in this thread seem to align with your issues, however. I recommend returning your Dell and perhaps trying a different monitor with matte coating; maybe you're bothered by a glossy monitor? Quite frankly, everyone is different and there are a ton of factors that could be potentially bothering you, or it could be all in your head. Either way, try the former, and if that doesn't work out, then perhaps go see an ophthalmologist.

dell is bitching about the return. plus this s2415h has everything going for it. its the best monitor to experiment with atm.

on lagom there is a pixel walk test that is another pwm like hidden source of flicker. the lagom site says that its not possible to adjust that but on this monitor i can adjust the flicker by changing the RGB or contrast values.

That is one less factor for causing strain. but is this normal to be able to adjust this?

Back