Sharp Unveils Ultra-Thin LCD TV

HardOCP News

[H] News
Sharp has just taken the wraps off of a 52” LCD that is a mere 1.1 inches thick and weighs less than 60lbs. Wow, I’ll take two please. ;)

Japanese consumer electronics maker Sharp Corp. unveiled a new ultra-thin liquid-crystal display television Wednesday that will be much lighter than any other television currently available, upping the ante in the competitive industry.

Claiming a 100,000-1 contrast ration, does this achieve thinness from using LED backlight?

That is the next shoe to drop in the technology, intelligent LED backlight.

makes me wanna wait before getting a new tv to see what these'll be like and how much...

I think there was a PR on [H] a few days back on these. Was like $3100 MSRP for the 42" version.

i wish true 1080p24 led displays were under $500 and commonplace RIGHT NOW! :eek: :D

technology is waaay2slow.

It's an OLED screen. Meaning it's made out of organic material. It decays and quality will degrade after about 5 years of constant use. It dosn't use a backlight due to it's color being extremely bright. This technology has been in use on Digital camera's for awhile and was used for the Sony flex screen shown a couple months ago. It's an energy saver to since there is no backlight. Wiki OLED for more info.

It's an OLED screen. Meaning it's made out of organic material. It decays and quality will degrade after about 5 years of constant use. It dosn't use a backlight due to it's color being extremely bright. This technology has been in use on Digital camera's for awhile and was used for the Sony flex screen shown a couple months ago. It's an energy saver to since there is no backlight. Wiki OLED for more info.

Or you could say its a tech demo and will not see the light of production, lol

Still nice though.

I mean you can tell that is technology they stole from the future by the space travel foil suits the women are wearing. Hopefully the time machine is built large enough to keep up with demand.

What makes you think that? Seeing as the blurb clearly states

"liquid-crystal display"

The OLED displays I've seen are about half as thick as this one.

doesn't seem too radical considering the technology most likely came from that used in notebook computers for 10+ years. It probably uses a series of interlocking prisms with the backlight mounted on the bottom reflecting through the prisms to produce even backlighting. I seen such used before in smaller applications. I suppose the earlier assertion of LED backlight could work too, at least from a marketing standpoint.

I just wish the price would come down on the stuff that's out now. I'd be very happy if an lcd was similarly priced to a dlp

the price IS already pretty good imho. the westy+vizio 42 1080p60 models are available for ~1100 delivered. it'd be nice if they were 500, but that's what CRT's currently cost. that means next gen display technology liked led/oled, etc. would have to be here already to replace the similar products @similar price points for current crop of stuff to be that low. today's lcd's will be tomorrow's "crt's" if you catch my drift.

if i'm spending $1000+, i demand HDR 1mil:1 contrast ratio 48-bit color depth, 1080p24 support for both display port revision 2.x and hdmi 2.x :eek::D

I just wish the price would come down on the stuff that's out now. I'd be very happy if an lcd was similarly priced to a dlp

I would have to agree...larger LCDs are still too expensive IMO.

Not to mention if this thing does come out it will cost a fortune considering sharp's flat panels are usually really expensive.

Back