Sharnig on netowkr, with out password

• Thread starter Deleted member 12106
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12106

I know it should seem pretty easy.

I have a win2k box I wanted to use as my server, only problem, it wants a user name/password any time I try to connect to it.

I have it set to everyone and read only. I do not want it to require a password, I tried google, all I could find is how to put a password on it and the hierchary of user/sharing permissions.

I can't have the user name/pass prompt otherwise my xbox can not read the shares. I have my music and movies on the server so I can stream them to my xbox.

From my understanding, I should be able to use the user group 'everyone'. I have done this in the past and it worked, however, not today :confused:

Box specs:
ppro 200
4gig primary
160megs edo ram
promise controller card
2x 300gig seagates
no optical drives
3com nic

If you don't want it to prompt you for a username/pass, use the same username/pass on another computer to connect to your print server computer.

Blitzrommel said:
If you don't want it to prompt you for a username/pass, use the same username/pass on another computer to connect to your print server computer.

I don't have a print server...

When I connect to my file server with user name/pass from this box, the xbox still can not get access to it, the xbox and file server are hardwire to the same router, this box is wifi, hince, the file server, music/movies took too long to load up on the xbox, random drop outs and glitches prompted me to add a file server, however, it is not working as I had planned, which sucks.

are you puttin just the everyone group in both the share and ntfs (security) permissions?

enforcer17 said:
are you puttin just the everyone group in both the share and ntfs (security) permissions?

What is this ntfs permissions you speak of? I think the everyone group was just for local users using the box.

The xbox is modded with a diff bios and chip, which allows playback of divx over lan so I can stream files to it.

No one knows how to do this? I know there are some network admins here that "certified" but yet no one knows how do do what I ask?

I'd imagine most people here know how to enable the guest account to disable the prompt for a password. The everyone permission doesn't open up a share wide open. It merely opens the share to the existing user accounts on that machine and then that user as he/she logs in to the remote machine with those credentials. For your needs there is nothing to concern yourself about with NTFS permissions and judging by the thread here it would only serve to confuse you further.

Enable your guest account. Bad business typically but without a client login on the XBox this is going to be the way you do it.

Are you using XP Pro or Home? If you are using Pro and don't see the security tab in the properties of the folder you are sharing, you must disable simple file sharing.

enforcer17 said:
Are you using XP Pro or Home? If you are using Pro and don't see the security tab in the properties of the folder you are sharing, you must disable simple file sharing.

Read first post more carefully.

Thanks, enabling guest account makes it work, wish google would have told me this back on saturday.

If you are using Xbox Media Center to watch you videos you can easily configure it to use a username and password when connecting to your fileserver. PM if you need some help. :D

Back