sharing through ethernet?

mnewxcv

[H]F Junkie
so I have a computer with 1 ethernet port. It is currently connected to the internet through a wireless G usb adapter. is there any way to connect another computer to this computers ethernet port and share the connection? if so how? I dont have any ethernet crossover cables, just regular ones.

It can be done with ease. I wouldn't worry about the cable, any normal one should work. I've hooked computers up like that many times, from 7 year old computers to brand new, they work. I don't want to have to repeat myself, so I'll refer you to a previous post in where I explained how to do it.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1254338

Any other questions, feel free to post! :)

You need a hub or switch.
100mbps or 1gbps depending what you prefer.
Connect everything to the hub or switch, job done.

To use "regular" CAT5 cables you'd need a hub or a switch...one cable from the first computer to the switch/hub, one from the switch/hub to the second computer. To do away with the switch/hub you'd need a crossover cable; that can go directly from one computer to the other. Most computer stores have them. If you're using Windows you can share a connection with ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). Do a search on this forum, or a Google search to get the details.

I use a switch in my setup, but in a pinch you can use regular cat 5e to connect 2 computers. I have done it many times, with different hardware, and never had a problem. I agree it is not a long term solution, but it does work.

Back