Sharing Program Files directory

DarkCyber

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, I run an application on one pc that must be accessed by another pc on my lan. I had this all working fine until I upgraded my pc and reinstalled everything. Here's what I need:

PC 1 is my pc with the application on it.
PC 2 is the pc that needs to access my pc from the lan

I have mapped my pc's c drive from PC 2 and it shows up. But when I go into the application on PC 2 to set the directory for the database from PC 1 I can't get to the database. The application and database are located in Program Files directory on PC 1 and when I right click and try to turn on Sharing for the Program Files directory on PC 1...all the sharing stuff is grayed out. This is how I set it up before.

I must be able to navigate to that directory from PC 2.

How can I turn on Sharing on PC 1's Program Files directory or does anyone else have a better idea of how to get this to work?

Many thanks!

two steps, as an administrator, set permissions on the specific subdirectory with the data to all users, and then enable the share, with the appropriate user permissions.

BriguyNJ said:
two steps, as an administrator, set permissions on the specific subdirectory with the data to all users, and then enable the share, with the appropriate user permissions.

I hate to sound so brain dead here...but I can't remember where to set those premissions on the subdirectory at.

I have already right clicked on the subdirectory that is in Program Files and turned on Sharing there. But when I'm on PC 2 and try to navigate to that subdirectory...I get an error when I click on the Program Files directory. So, I can't get into any of the subdirectories in the Program Files folder.

BUMP

i'd like to know also. I have a router/firewall/etc on my network. I have an HTPC computer setup with no monitor/keyboard/mouse/etc. I have the C drive shared, but I am unable to browse the the \program files\ folder or \windows\ folder.

I'm curious as to what is needed to be done to be able to access these files over the network... and I understand the possible consequences of leaving these directories wide-open/shared over the network.

Thanks for any help.

edit//
I'm familiar with managing shares and permisions, etc under windows XP Pro, with or without simple file sharing turned on.. i've fooled around with the permissions and settings for the program files folder, but can't make it accessible over the network.

Back