Sharing MP3s over LAN

So I have my MP3 collection shared over my home network, but certain songs won't play from remote computers... They open in Winamp, but won't play; others play just fine. I think this only started occurring after I started using LimeWire to get some songs.

Any ideas?

Try copying one of the troublesome songs to another computer and then trying to play it.

I think what the joker was getting at is digital rights management. The WMA's might be linked to the certificates in that one computer.

If it were a networking issue you'd hear blips and skips because the network can't keep up. You aren't. It's just not playing. Therefore for one reason or another it is the non-playing computer's fault.

Good luck.

No WMAs, just MP3s. I remember copying them over and they worked fine (though I think I only tried that from my Linux box). When I tried just now with a Windows computer (all the rest are Windows XP or 2000 here), however, it said it was in use or write-protected, neither of which is true as far as I can tell... Also, it works fine if I send it to another computer... Hrmmm...

ok...for debugging purproses....

computer1: has music
computer2: wants to play music on computer 1

computer1: share folder c:\mp3 as \\computer1\mp3
computer2: browse to \\computer1\mp3
computer2: copy \\computer1\mp3\britney.mp3 to c:\
computer2: play c:\britney.mp3

If you can do that, then you should be able to play \\computer1\mp3\britney

You can read the file, therefore you can play it straight off the network. Nothing is stopping you. Can you essentially do what I just described?

No, can't do that; it tells me that the file is in use or write-protected (the standard Windows XP error message; nothing is read-only, and the shared folder has no restrictions on it that I know of). I can, however, copy the file from the main (server) computer to the shared folder on the remote (client) computer (i.e. send it from the server). The strange thing is that it only does this with certain files.

Actually, it seems to be doing this on a number of computers, and not just with MP3s... I'm just gonna run the XP network setup wizard on one and make a setup floppy to run on the others.

Thanks for the efforts though!

Yeah, so that didn't work... I figured if it was an issue with filesharing, that the common network setup wizard might do the trick.

Anyway, I have no software firewalls, but could it be something with my router and its firewall? I'll try just about anything at this point.

Back