Sharing internal pci with wireless router

Dunamis

[H]Lurker Supreme[/H]
The main pc is connected thru pci adsl modem and a wireless router. The problem is that winxp doesn't allow ICS now with the router present.
Is there any workaround this problem without having to buy an external adsl modem?

Diagram:
Code:
+---------+
|*Main PC*|
+---------+
|     ADSL=-------> | Internet |
|         |
|         |       +----------+
|      NIC=---+   |*W Router*|
|         |   |   +----------+
+---------+   |   =WAN       |
              +---=LAN 1     |
                  =LAN 2     |       +--------+
                  =LAN 3     |       |*Laptop*|
                  =Lan 4     |       +--------+
                  |  Wireless|.......|W LAN   |
                  +----------+       +--------+

Try connecting your modem to the wan port on the router and then you should be able to share the internet... And see if that solves your problem

bmore1777 said:
Try connecting your modem to the wan port on the router and then you should be able to share the internet... And see if that solves your problem

Thanks for the reply.
Thats one of the main problem, its an internal PCI adsl modem.

I don't think I have explained the problem clearly, I cannot turn the ICS on because windows warned me that in order for ICS to work, IP 192.168.0.1 has be be available, in this case its already been 'taken' by the router.

In the router's manual, it's WAN port needs to be connected to the Cable/ADSL modem which then shared to all user connected to that router. Obviously I can't connect this to an internal PCI modem.
Windows also refuses to bridge adsl connection and wlan.

My router is D-Link DI-614+

Hmmm. I've only heard of internal DSL modems from people in NZ and Australia. Do you have a link to that product?

The problem is that winxp doesn't allow ICS now with the router present.
I don't understand this quote. So you were able to use ICS before? But you've recently installed the DSL modem and that is now the problem? I would think XP shouldn't care/know that its sharing with a router vs. another PC.

nomar said:
Hmmm. I've only heard of internal DSL modems from people in NZ and Australia. Do you have a link to that product?
Internal dsl modems are cheaper, sometimes by half.
http://dynalink.co.nz/
http://dynalink.co.nz/products/alh181.htm

nomar said:
I don't understand this quote. So you were able to use ICS before? But you've recently installed the DSL modem and that is now the problem? I would think XP shouldn't care/know that its sharing with a router vs. another PC.
I was using ethernet by crossover cable before, and sharing the connection is as easy as a ticking the ICS. Apparently ICS need 192.168.0.1 to be available. I've read somewhere else in the forum and the suggestion was to disable router's DHCP which makes it a dumb AP, but when I disabled it ICS still reporting 192.168.0.1 is taken and it also prevent me to access the router's config application which I then need to hard-reset it to factory settings so I can get it working again. arrgh.. :mad:
Maybe I should just get an external modem and save all the trouble. :eek:

Yea, i had a somewhat simmilar problem useing an USB modem.

What to do is connect your NIC of the computer to the WAN port, And bridge the connections, this should do the job nicely. down side is you wont be able to send files to the laptop!

If the router has an Uplink port, try that and you should still be able to see the rest of your network. Ideally tho, get a new modem, many problems solved :-D

Actually you won't use the WAN port at all. Looks like your stuck with ICS so turn that on and bypass the WAN port on the router, and disable the DHCP service. the only thing you'll use on the router is the integrated switch. What you've done is basically turn that device into a switch that happens to have an Access Point attached to it. It's an AP/Switch instead of an AP/Router. I'd concur with the rest and suggest you get a different modem so you can use the router..

Thanks guys... I'll try some of the suggestion and if that fails then I'll just have to fork out to get a new modem. :D

you need to get to the router's config page and change the router's ip address to, say, 192.168.0.2, and be sure to disable its dhcp

tim said:
you need to get to the router's config page and change the router's ip address to, say, 192.168.0.2, and be sure to disable its dhcp
Yeah, I did what Vortex suggest and change the router's IP to 192.168.0.2 and voila! the ICS is working altho I couln't share files (as Vortex also mentioned). But I didn't disable router DHCP and no bridge. From past trial, the router doesn't like DHCP disabled, it render the router inaccessible. I guess you could configure it manually somehow but thats out of my knowledge, shouln't have slept during those Data Comm classes :D

did you plug the computer into the wan or regular/uplink port?

for a couple weeks i sorta did what you want to do. i already had a non wireless router (as opposed to your computer with the dsl modem) but then got a wireless router to only use as an ap (the router and the ap were the same price). i first had to connect my pc to the wireless router directly to change the ip address so that it didn't conflict with the wired router. then i just plugged the uplink of the wired to a regular port of the wireless so that it just acted as a switch/ap.

of course the wired router started crapping out, the switch was fine but i kept having to restart it because i couldn't get on the internet. so now the wireless router is the main router and the wired one isn't being used, but i'll probably use it as a switch at some point.

It works!! :cool:
I plugged it into lan port (instead wan) and this time disabling DHCP somehow didn't screw the router up. Last time I did this it forces me to hard-reset the router cos the config app is inaccessible and somehow disconnect my laptop.
I guess the key to all this is to change the router's ip to somethin else.
Now both file and internet sharing are working! the only thing is that now I'm stuck wif windows routing management.

Hey you guys are great! thx all!

Back