Sharing files over a network on Win10 april 2018 update (no homegroup anymore)

Dutt1113

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone know how to access files/folders that are shared from another computer on the same wifi network on the latest April 2018 update of Windows 10. There is no homegroup to setup anymore. I shared a folder by using the share tab in file explorer and clicking specific people and adding "everyone" to read/write. It says the folder is shared, but I cannot figure out how to access the shared folder from another computer. In file explorer and clicking network on the left hand side, no other computers show up that would have the shared folder.

As long as the firewall isn't blocking it you can share the network and file sharing as you mentioned.

You can access that share by going into file explorer and going to \\ip.address or \\hostname (example: \\192.168.1.5 or \\fileserver ) from another computer and it will list the shares or ask for authentication if you have it setup.
Keep in mind there are 2 areas for access, the main share permissions of who can access it (you set everyone) and then the security settings of the folder of who can access it (local users/network users etc) both need to be set correctly to your needs.

thanks for response. After some more research I found another solution. I had to go into services.msc and set some services to automatic instead of manual

thanks for response. After some more research I found another solution. I had to go into services.msc and set some services to automatic instead of manual
I'm having the same problems. Can you identify which services you reset? Thanks.

I'm having the same problems. Can you identify which services you reset? Thanks.

There's 2 "function" ones, an SSDP, and a Undp. I might be a little off on these, going from memory but you know just by scrolling through services.msc or whatever. Just set them to automatic. They were all manual by default. And make sure they are also Running, if not just click start for that service.

Back