Sharing Files Between 2 Computers--Not Working

Mike2002

n00b
I just built a new computer and I am trying to transfer files from the old computer to my new one. They are networked using a D-Link DI-604 router and they are both able to access the internet perfectly. When I go to Windows Explorer and click on My network places, entire network, Microsoft Windows Network, then on MSHOME(the workgroup) it gives me a message saying "MsHome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently accessible." So do I need to change a setting on one of the computer so I can have permission to view the files and transfer them over. They are both running Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 with all the updates. Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael

ya know.. i had many troubles with that.. long ago with 98 and even in 2k and xp.. just annoying and even when i fixed it.. problem would come back

so i took the ftp route.. setup ftp server on both machines to transfer files.. much easier.. faster.. and secure

just a suggestion..

Been there, done that.
I am currently using win2k but, the procedure is the same.
This is the only way I have been able to see the drives on the other computer. This must be done on both computers. No rebooting neccessary..

control panel
admin tools
computer management
shared folders
shares

ex:

shared folder c:\
shared name C

Repeat this for each drive on both computers.

Windows Explorer can now see drives on other computer.

With explorer, click on the + in front of "my network places".

(clicking on the + seems to work better then clicking the word)

Click + in front of "entire network"

Click on + in front of "work group".

Each time you click on +, explorer will lock up for 45 sec.
Why it locks up, I don't know.
Once you see all the drive letters, explorer doesn't lock up any more.
If anyone knows why Explorer locks up, please let me know.

Back