sharing between work laptop and home desktop, please help!

Jason

Limp Gawd
okay here's the deal.

i'm trying to set up some very basic file sharing for my sister. she's got a laptop that she uses at work, but also likes to bring home. it's on a domain and running xp pro.

she has a desktop at home that's running xp home, and therefore not on a domain. (as far as i know it's not possible to use domains on xp home?)

i can share folders (and printers for that matter) from the desktop and they're accessible from the laptop. i can not seem to figure out how to do the opposite, that is, share folders on the laptop and have them accessible from the desktop.

this is driving me crazy! how do i do it?

If you can, try setting up a local user (that doesn't have admin permissions for security reasons) on the laptop that has the same user name and password as a user on the home desktop. Give that user the appropriate permissions on the files and the network shares.

i thought of that and tried it.

when i did, i got an error message saying that the user couldn't be created because:

"NAME-OF-LAPTOP\username does not exist"

also, when i go to add a user on the laptop, the dialog box is totally different. it asks me for a username and a domain. is this because the laptop is running xp pro, whereas the desktop is running xp home?

one other thing. in the list of users on the laptop, it doesn't even have my sister's username listed. she just has a domain login. no local one.

is there something i'm missing in order to be able to setup a local login? does my inability to do so have something to do with permissions?

this junk is so confusing. :/

You'll need to be logged on to the computer with an account that has local administrator privledges to be able to add a local user.

I think you have to be logged on to the box as a local user, NOT a user who belongs to an AD Domain whose credentials are cached locally. There is a difference between logging onto a laptop as MYDOMAIN\Username with local admin access and MYCOMPUTER\LocalAdmin.

You have to eliminate all traces of her domain credentials, and the only way to do that is log on to the box with a local account with local admin rights. Then you can set up a user whose username and password matches.

Back