Sharing an ADSL connections, suggestions please

Zero1

Limp Gawd
Hello guys.

Unfortunately for me, my sister wants internet access on her computer also. I have to admit I have no idea when it comes to networking, so I was wondering if someone would be good enough to suggest something for me.

What I need is a kit, or list of what I need to be able to share my connection wirelessly. I gather I need a wireless router, but do they come with everything, or do I require extra "traditional" modems that plug into it or something?

I don't care for transferring files wirelessly. This computer has private stuff on it, and I'd like to keep it that way ;)

Also, would she be able to get online even if my computer is switched off? I gather the router would have to be in my room, connected to the phoneline and my PC, so that was something I was wondering about.

Currently I have a Linksys ADSL modem, I don't know if that's any use in what I plan to do, or if I might as well sell it on.

Many thanks

Right, in case that's not clear, you want a broadband router (cable/DSL), and if her computer isn't closeby, you'll want a wireless broadband router, and she'll need a wireless card (or if it's a laptop, maybe it has built-in). Modem will hook into a special ethernet port on the new router, instead of your network card. Then you put an ethernet cable between your network card and one of the regular ports on the router, and configure the wireless for your sister, which can involve giving the wireless connection an SSID, filtering to only allow her computer's network cards MAC address, and configuring WEP or WPA (WPA is "better" if you use a nice long random key, WEP is easier but if you think someone nearby might try to "borrow" some wireless or snoop, WEP is easier to crack, too.)

Back